X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
    I'm very appreciative that we can have several live CEs back in a row and the fact that this one was of such a high standard was glorious; and what better way to end than with the unlisted (and hence a delightful surprise) Finzi Amen from 'Lo, the full' - perhaps all CEs should end that way (only joking, but it does it for me every time), or alternate with the Amen from the Finzi Magnificat The growly Walker really came into its own in the Howells C# minor, but why didn't they add any solo reed in the 90s build, or even kept the old one - no shortage of cash there then. The Balfour Gardner really demands it in the final climax of EH: we're all waiting for it, admit it, and feel just a little cheated without it.
    Ah, so that's what the 'extra' was, thank you. The web info only sees fit to give the original published menu with Franz Lehar listed under 'Music Played'...

Comment

• mopsus
      • Nov 2010

With the new Government restrictions on wearing masks in churches, we may in any case be back to archive/repeat/another-chance-to-hear (however you care to call it) evensongs now, unless the BBC can find a space to use that isn't covered by the restrictions.

Comment

• cat
        • May 2019

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
        With the new Government restrictions on wearing masks in churches, we may in any case be back to archive/repeat/another-chance-to-hear (however you care to call it) evensongs now, unless the BBC can find a space to use that isn't covered by the restrictions.
        I’m not sure it’s relevant. As with shops and public transport, the wearing of face coverings is likely to be mandated only for visiting members of the public, not those working there.

Comment

• Simon Biazeck
          • Jul 2020

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
          https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-face-covering.

Staff in indoor settings

"Face coverings are not required for employees in indoor settings set out in section 2 where face coverings have to be worn by members of the public This also applies to banks, building societies and post office staff.

This is because employees should continue to follow guidance from their employer based on workplace health and safety assessment.

There will also be times when screens or visors are in use, or when a staff member is not in close proximity to people they do not normally meet, and so it will not be necessary for staff to wear a face covering.

... when a staff member is not in close proximity to people they do not normally meet, and so it will not be necessary for staff to wear a face covering."

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I'm a bit late to the party, but I've just caught up with Wednesday's CE from SMitF. I thought it was lovely, and (although I'm not personally religious) felt it had a calm spirituality that was quite moving. The fact that it was broadcast as the first live CE for a long time made it even more so. Yes, the fare was very trad. Anglican, but even that gave it a certain significance. It is a Good Thing that the Beeb and SMitF have found a way to do it. All power to their elbows.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              I'm a bit late to the party, but I've just caught up with Wednesday's CE from SMitF. I thought it was lovely, and (although I'm not personally religious) felt it had a calm spirituality that was quite moving. The fact that it was broadcast as the first live CE for a long time made it even more so. Yes, the fare was very trad. Anglican, but even that gave it a certain significance. It is a Good Thing that the Beeb and SMitF have found a way to do it. All power to their elbows.
              I think that was a major reason for me finding this a moving broadcast. There can be comfort in the familiar when the world is in disarray. It was tinged with sadness and memory as well - sadness that even without the current crisis affecting live church music I am very very unlikely to be able to sing evensong again, and memories(while singing along quietly to the broadcast) of previous occasions when I sang that music.

Comment

• Wolsey
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cat View Post
                I’m not sure it’s relevant. As with shops and public transport, the wearing of face coverings is likely to be mandated only for visiting members of the public, not those working there.
                Current Church of England Guidance on face coverings is: We strongly advise that face coverings should be worn by all those attending a place of worship, including ministers, worshippers, staff, volunteers, contractors and visitors, where there may be other people present;[...]

In view of the Prime Minister's announcement on 31 July, The Church of England website states that "We will study detailed government regulations and guidance once they are available and will update our guidance accordingly."

Comment

• edashtav
                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  I think that was a major reason for me finding this a moving broadcast. There can be comfort in the familiar when the world is in disarray. It was tinged with sadness and memory as well - sadness that even without the current crisis affecting live church music I am very very unlikely to be able to sing evensong again, and memories(while singing along quietly to the broadcast) of previous occasions when I sang that music.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    As an ex-chorister and leader of the school choir, I am very sad to read this.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Wolsey View Post
                      Current Church of England Guidance on face coverings is: We strongly advise that face coverings should be worn by all those attending a place of worship, including ministers, worshippers, staff, volunteers, contractors and visitors, where there may be other people present;[...]

In view of the Prime Minister's announcement on 31 July, The Church of England website states that "We will study detailed government regulations and guidance once they are available and will update our guidance accordingly."
                      Are choristers demanded to wear face masks? This would surely render many of the words sung inaudible?

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        As an ex-chorister and leader of the school choir, I am very sad to read this.
                        I do get to sing(in normal times!) but not in a church choir, and although there are options for being part of occasional special occasions in two very musical churches in the county a combination of health and travel issues have now ruled them out.

Comment

Working...
                        X