Duruflé Requiem - Trinity Cambridge - Filmed in Paris - Released on Ash Wednesday

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duruflé Requiem - Trinity Cambridge - Filmed in Paris - Released on Ash Wednesday

Trailer - https://fb.watch/iP1cN_mE-e/

"This Requiem is... intended to convey the feelings of human beings faced with their terrifying, inexplicable or comforting fates." - Maurice Duruflé

The Choir of Trinity College, Cambridge, directed by Stephen Layton
    Baritone: Florian Störtz | Mezzo-soprano: Katherine Gregory
    Organ: Harrison Cole | Cello: Myrtille Hetzel

A film by Andrew Staples and Classical Films made in Église Saint-Eustache, Paris, July 2022

Releasing on Facebook and on our YouTube channel, Wednesday 22 February 2023, 6pm UK time.

Thanks. I often think there's a sort of pyramid, a relatively small number of people who prefer Faure's Requiem to Verdi's, and a smaller still number who prefer Durufle's to Faure's: it is indeed a most refined and contemplative work.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      I often think there's a sort of pyramid, a relatively small number of people who prefer Fauré's Requiem to Verdi's, and a smaller still number who prefer Duruflé's to Faure's: it is indeed a most refined and contemplative work.
      The world seems to be in need of Requiems these days. Only recently, I highlighted Truro Cathedral Choir's new recording of Russell Pascoe's Secular Requiem with the BBC NOW and an Editor's Choice in Gramophone. My favourite of all has to be the consoling A German Requiem of Brahms, setting texts from the Lutheran Bible and omitting the Last Judgement. The Requiems of Fauré and Duruflé have a certain affinity with one another, although it is the latter's embellishment of Gregorian plainchant which, for me, elevates it to a special place, especially when sung liturgically (as in the cathedral every year).

Comment

The Duruflé is in my experience a favourite piece to take on foreign choir tours, as it sounds dramatic even with just organ accompaniment.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          Thanks. I often think there's a sort of pyramid, a relatively small number of people who prefer Faure's Requiem to Verdi's, and a smaller still number who prefer Durufle's to Faure's: it is indeed a most refined and contemplative work.
          Horses for courses as far as I'm concerned, I like them all, but they fulfill different purposes. I was lucky enough to play and then sing in the Verdi Requiem more than once and thoroughly enjoy the theatricality and opportunities to let rip. The Faure I played several times before singing and enjoy it for the jammy viola lines and the gentler overall approach, and the evident involvement of audiences during performances; it certainly reaches deep into listeners' emotions. The Durufle I know less well - never played it and have only sung it twice. I do have a CD though which gets aired occasionally and it is the one that probably gives me most satisfaction as a personal and private experience.
          Something that still surprises me is how divisive the Faure can be, with some loving it and others never wanting to hear, let alone perform, it. Not something I remember from years ago - perhaps fallout from Charlotte Church and CFM over exposure since?

Comment

Yes, I think it's even an unusual piece in Faure's output, if one sets it alongside his chamber music and songs.

Comment

Really looking forward to this, but one of the oddest trailers!?
              I’ve sung in all the big names’ Requiems - Verdi, Berlioz, Britten, Brahms, Dvorak, Mozart, but this one approaches heaven like no other, either as a performer or a listener.

Comment

Yes, it certainly wouldn't have encouraged me to watch if I didn't already love Durufle's Requiem. And was that really someone picking his nose about half-way through?

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up, K. I look forward to it. Wednesday looks like a bit of a musical feast with John's as well!

On a couple of occasions I've done the Durufle without a mezzo soloist. The Pie Jesu sounds incredible sung (a) by all the sops and altos...assuming they blend and (b) especially by boy trebles. There is something special about the low register of trebles, providing they're not forcing it.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                    (b) especially by boy trebles. There is something special about the low register of trebles, providing they're not forcing it.
                    That's how we usually do it in the context of a full Requiem Mass. I, too, love that low treble sonority.

On Wed at 6pm you'll hear a 20yo mezzo soloist who will also sing the Queen of the Night this week in the Cambridge Univ Opera Soc main production of The Magic Flute. (Vocal range usually narrows with age.)

Comment

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                      That's how we usually do it in the context of a full Requiem Mass. I, too, love that low treble sonority.

On Wed at 6pm you'll hear a 20yo mezzo soloist who will also sing the Queen of the Night this week in the Cambridge Univ Opera Soc main production of The Magic Flute. (Vocal range usually narrows with age.)
                      Well done, Katherine!
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        Well done, Katherine!
                        We haven't heard it yet!

Comment

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
                          The Duruflé is in my experience a favourite piece to take on foreign choir tours, as it sounds dramatic even with just organ accompaniment.
                          It was the Sanctus from the St John's recording with organ that got me hooked when it was played on Record Review when it got released.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                            the St John's recording with organ
                            After hearing the St John's/Stephen Cleobury/George Guest LP (Argo), the composer wrote to GG suggesting that the (renowned) seven basses of St John's sounded so good that he would like to hear them sing the bass solos tutti!

Comment

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                              Really looking forward to this, but one of the oddest trailers!?
                              I’ve sung in all the big names’ Requiems - Verdi, Berlioz, Britten, Brahms, Dvorak, Mozart, but this one approaches heaven like no other, either as a performer or a listener.
                              Indeed. Has to be a candidate for the worst trail I’ve ever seen. Come on guys it’s not that hard compared to making the film.

Comment

Working...
                              X