• Time
  • Show
Clear All

CE St Michael and All Angels Church, Barnes, London [R]

CE St Michael and All Angels Church, Barnes, London
    Choir of Tiffin School
    March 29th 2023

Order of Service:

Introit: Ave Regina caelorum (Plainsong)
    Responses: Joanna Forbes L’Estrange
    Office hymn: From glory to glory advancing, we praise the O God (Sheen)
    Psalms 142, 143 (Blow, Howells)
    First Lesson: Job 36: 1-12
    Canticles: Sumsion in A
    Second Lesson: John 14: 1-14
    Anthem: Cantique de Jean Racine (Fauré)
    Hymn: All my hope on God is founded (Michael)

Voluntary: Rhapsody No. 1 in D flat major (Howells)

Richard Gowers (Organist)
    James Day (Director of Music)

Recorded 9 March

From St Michael and All Angels Church, Barnes, London, with the choir of Tiffin School.
    Last edited by DracoM; 26-03-23, 11:41.

Great that Tiffin School has made it onto a CE slot! I mean that sincerely. But....another London Church and another recording?

Comment

Yes, yes to Tiffin's, but also yes to lament over yet another London 'choir'.............

Is it money? Is it too expensive to tx from churches /cathedrals etc OUTSIDE London?

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        Yes, yes to Tiffin's, but also yes to lament over yet another London 'choir'.............

Is it money? Is it too expensive to tx from churches /cathedrals etc OUTSIDE London?
        The licence fee has been frozen until April 2024, in an effort to tackle the rising cost of living (though some argue there were other motives in play) - thus the BBC faces a shortfall of £285 million in the face of rising costs. So, it is indeed very probably money that accounts for fewer live broadcasts and more choirs of the sort that will make do with a donation rather than fees commensurate with those normally paid to professional members, accompanists and directors.

Comment

I would say there were other motives at play, especially as Nadine Dorres was 'culture' minister. Anyway, Truro next week which is nowhere near London.

Comment

Reminder: today @ 4 p.m.

Comment

This is the first time a state school has sung a broadcast CE, according to the school’s Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                This is the first time a state school has sung a broadcast CE, according to the school’s Twitter.
                Strictly speaking that may be true and it's the first evensong broadcast, although wasn't there a broadcast Choral Vespers/Evening Prayer from a Catholic state school not long ago?

Comment

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
                  Strictly speaking that may be true and it's the first evensong broadcast, although wasn't there a broadcast Choral Vespers/Evening Prayer from a Catholic state school not long ago?
                  Correct. Although arguably the first time that a state school has broadcast evensong, Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School occupied the slot with a recording of Choral Vespers in February last year.

Comment

a state school
                    A selective grammar school: from their web page - 'Two stage testing process in English and maths. Total of 1600 pupils sit the notoriously competitive entrance assessments; 180, from over 100 primary schools, will take up places.'

Comment

Definition of a ‘state’ school I take to mean no fees are paid whether the intake is selective or comprehensive.
                      The young people who sang at Leeds Cathedral some weeks ago were from several state schools, not just one as is today’s choir.

Comment

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
                        It's gilding the Lilly somewhat and using the distinction between Choral Evensong and Choral Vespers to justify their claim. The Cardinal Vaughan School (State School) broadcast Choral Vespers, 2nd February 2022 in the usual Wednesday Choral Evening slot. I am of course delighted that both state schools have broadcast and I hope for more.

Comment

A selective grammar school: from their web page - 'Two stage testing process in English and maths. Total of 1600 pupils sit the notoriously competitive entrance assessments; 180, from over 100 primary schools, will take up places.'
                          I think Roderick Williams was a pupil at Tiffins (but I stand to be corrected.)
                          I thought it quite touching to hear a school choir singing CE. Well done to them. I don't know the church, but it didn't deem to have enough acoustic quality to give the sound of the choir a bit of a boost.

Comment

Agree. There seemed to be a big sound in the hymns which indicates a large congregation, hence lack of resonance? A very enjoyable CE; a bit too much verbiage with unnecessary information.

Comment

Definition of a ‘state’ school I take to mean no fees are paid whether the intake is selective or comprehensive.
                              The young people who sang at Leeds Cathedral some weeks ago were from several state schools, not just one as is today’s choir.
                              Southwell Minster and Peterborough Cathedral’s choir schools are also state-funded. Tho they’ve chalked up a fair few choral evensong broadcasts between them!

Comment

Working...
                              X