X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CE Truro Cathedral 5.iv.23 [L]

CE Truro Cathedral 5.iv.23 [L]

Order of Service:

Introit: O Lord! that seest from yon starry height (Wood)
    Responses: Radcliffe
    Psalm 27, 28, 29 (Monk, Goss, Stanford)
    First Lesson: Isaiah 63 vv.1-9
    Canticles: Noble in B minor
    Second Lesson: Mark 14 vv.1-9
    Anthem: They that go down to the sea in ships (Sumsion)
    Hymn: The God of love my Shepherd is (University)

Voluntary: Deuxième Fantaisie (Alain)

Andrew Wyatt (Assistant Director of Music)
    Christopher Gray (Director of Music)

The BBC have kindly fitted us in a few days before our DoM Chris Gray relinquishes his post after fifteen years at the helm. Our loss will be St John's Cambridge's gain, and it will be fascinating to hear how their famous choir adapts to having an increasing complement of young girl choristers mixed with the boys.

Truro is fortunate to have two separate top lines of boy (8-13) and girl (13-18) choristers, who usually sing separately with the lay vicars and choral scholars. However, for this final broadcast with CG they will combine - I hope those of us underneath will be able to balance them!

As well as Chris's last broadcast, it will also be mine, as I will be hanging up my cassock for the last time at the end of the summer term in July. I joined the choir in 1989, David Briggs's first year as DoM, and have been Senior Lay Vicar for the last few years. When James Anderson-Besant arrives in June as the eleventh Director, he will be the fifth I will have worked with.

It has been sheer joy from start to finish to be able to participate in the daily round of sung services, as well as the many concerts, broadcasts, recordings and tours over three decades, during which the reputation of this choir for musical excellence has not wavered. I met my wife at the cathedral and our daughter was one of the founding girl choristers, now singing in Trinity College choir, Cambridge.

Fingers crossed, and enjoy the broadcast.

Comment

My guess Keraulophone is that there's a "book in you" that many of us would love to read if you would be kind enough to sit down and write it.

Comment

Originally posted by mw963 View Post
        My guess Keraulophone is that there's a "book in you" that many of us would love to read if you would be kind enough to sit down and write it.
        I agree, based on the numerous posts we’ve enjoyed reading on these boards. This is going to be quite a roller coaster few months emotionally, but you should feel immense satisfaction for a job well done.
        Very best wishes.

Comment

Comment

Seconded!

Comment

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
              The BBC have kindly fitted us in a few days before our DoM Chris Gray relinquishes his post after fifteen years at the helm. Our loss will be St John's Cambridge's gain, and it will be fascinating to hear how their famous choir adapts to having an increasing complement of young girl choristers mixed with the boys.

Truro is fortunate to have two separate top lines of boy (8-13) and girl (13-18) choristers, who usually sing separately with the lay vicars and choral scholars. However, for this final broadcast with CG they will combine - I hope those of us underneath will be able to balance them!

As well as Chris's last broadcast, it will also be mine, as I will be hanging up my cassock for the last time at the end of the summer term in July. I joined the choir in 1989, David Briggs's first year as DoM, and have been Senior Lay Vicar for the last few years. When James Anderson-Besant arrives in June as the eleventh Director, he will be the fifth I will have worked with.

It has been sheer joy from start to finish to be able to participate in the daily round of sung services, as well as the many concerts, broadcasts, recordings and tours over three decades, during which the reputation of this choir for musical excellence has not wavered. I met my wife at the cathedral and our daughter was one of the founding girl choristers, now singing in Trinity College choir, Cambridge.

Fingers crossed, and enjoy the broadcast.
              What a marvellous post! And the second-last sentence just wraps it up perfectly...

Comment

Reminder: TODAY @ 4 p.m.

Comment

A fine mix of dignity, fine singing, and outstanding organ playing. Chosen repertoire showed all participants off to advantage and as a lead into this Holy Weekend unrivalled.

MANY thanks. And best to Mr Gray.
                  Last edited by DracoM; 05-04-23, 22:50.

Comment

...and the sort of broadcast many CE aficiondos like best of all; live from a cathedral.

Comment

Comment

Very fine indeed with a beautiful distant balance which still allowed detail to be heard. No sign of the top line drowning you K. What was the very moving piece in the final prayers, obviously replacing the hymn because of time issues?

Comment

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                          What was the very moving piece in the final prayers, obviously replacing the hymn because of time issues?

We lost the hymn, sadly, which would have had a good CG descant in the final verse. You heard Pader An Arleth, the Lord's Prayer in Cornish, by local composer and friend of the choir Russell Pascoe. Very atmospheric.

Comment

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                            Very fine indeed with a beautiful distant balance which still allowed detail to be heard. No sign of the top line drowning you K. What was the very moving piece in the final prayers, obviously replacing the hymn because of time issues?
                            According to the opening announcement, the Prayer Anthem was a setting by Russell Pascoe of the Lord’s Prayer sung in Cornish - Pader in Arleth.

As others have said, a beautiful, dignified service. Thanks to everyone involved in this and in moving previous CEs from Truro. Best wishes to Mr Gray - and to Keraulophone.

Comment

Originally posted by mw963 View Post
                              I’m sorely tempted, but I’d first have to find a good libel lawyer!

Comment

Working...
                              X