Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    I feel the same about Howells' Responses. I love them but seldom hear them done. Maybe those who worry about CE becoming 'a concert' find them too time-consuming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbZUksVitF4
    St John's have recorded them, as have King's (two incarnations, both now Presto CDs; I don't understand why Presto do this!).
    They're not easy, of course, and need a Precentor who's on the ball!

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      I feel the same about Howells' Responses. I love them but seldom hear them done. Maybe those who worry about CE becoming 'a concert' find them too time-consuming.
      Long and over-complex for Preces & Responses. None of my several DoMs have wanted to use them because they draw too much attention to themselves, in what should be a more prayerful part of Evensong (yes, one or two can be more declamatory). Leighton's set are hard to beat IMO for a judicious balance of extrovert and intimate moments.

Comment

Agree about the Leighton responses. And I can see your point (shared no doubt by other DOMs) about the Howells being over long. I hinted at that in my post #15.
        However an occasional outing of a set by one of our most revered Anglican composers is surely a thing to be valued? Maybe on a wet Thursday afternoon?

Comment

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
          Long and over-complex for Preces & Responses. None of my several DoMs have wanted to use them because they draw too much attention to themselves, in what should be a more prayerful part of Evensong (yes, one or two can be more declamatory). Leighton's set are hard to beat IMO for a judicious balance of extrovert and intimate moments.
          I think much the same criticism could be made about the set by Geoffrey Webber on today's broadcast by Caius.

Comment

Working...
          X