Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two seasonal broadcasts

1. I loved the St John Passion broadcast as 'Afternoon Concert' on Radio 3 on Good Friday. Tempi seemed sensible and both the orchestra and the Arcangelo ensemble were excellent. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001khcj

2. Holy Week/Easter broadcast from Kings' on BBC TV yesterday. Choir in good fettle. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001kz6z

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    1. I loved the St John Passion broadcast as 'Afternoon Concert' on Radio 3 on Good Friday. Tempi seemed sensible and both the orchestra and the Arcangelo ensemble were excellent. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001khcj

2. Holy Week/Easter broadcast from Kings' on BBC TV yesterday. Choir in good fettle. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001kz6z
    I didn't hear the first of these but agree with you re Kings.

Comment

I was mildly amused to see this
      there is music from Bach, Mozart and Tchaikovsky.
      on the Freeview listing blurb. Would have been a very special event if it were true...

Comment

Fans of the S.John Passion might like to know it's on BBC4 next Sunday evening. John Eliot Gardner conducts. Its a Prom repeat.

Comment

I heard the King's service and thought the singing was good with not just the usual Passiontide and Easter hymns. A good idea to use St Matthew's Gospel for all the readings creating a unity. A pity the Bairstow Lammentations were cut short and the soprano/violin pieces didn't feel to be 'right' in this service which is about the choir. Why is the organ scholar replaced by Matthew Martin for most of the time?
          Mind you change is afoot, announced earlier this month, see below:-
          Watch to the end.......the VERY end.Visit the Archive's website at http://www.recordedchurchmusic.org
          Last edited by jonfan; 10-04-23, 10:50. Reason: Spelling error!

Comment

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
            I heard the King's service and thought the singing was good with not just the usual Passiontide and Easter hymns. A good idea to use St Matthew's Gospel for all the readings creating a unity. A pity the Bairstow Lammentations were cut short and the soprano/violin pieces didn't feel to be 'right' in this service which is about the choir. Why is the organ scholar repalced by Matthew Martin for most of the time?
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XuD8ghnR20
            Agree with your comments. One could understand MM being drafted in during the lockdown period where an experienced hand on the tiller was probably the best option but that's all gone now and what's the point of the organ scholars if they're not allowed to play for the big occasions?
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              Agree with your comments. One could understand MM being drafted in during the lockdown period where an experienced hand on the tiller was probably the best option but that's all gone now and what's the point of the organ scholars if they're not allowed to play for the big occasions?

Remember it was recorded the day before / after the Christmas programme, back in mid-December - so if an organ scholar is indisposed for one, chances are he will be for the other too.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Remember it was recorded the day before / after the Christmas programme, back in mid-December - so if an organ scholar is indisposed for one, chances are he will be for the other too.
                I think the organ scholar only played the chamber organ in the first anthem from the altar area. His name was on the credits so he wasn’t indisposed for the broadcast and he did play all the Christmas programme if I remember rightly.

Comment

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XuD8ghnR20
                  that's excellent!

Comment

Matthew Martin did Easter from King's last year too. Perhaps it has been decided that asking an organ scholar to do Carols from King's, Easter from King's and 9LC all in a couple of weeks might be a bit much. Also, the intention is to always have two organ scholars, a junior and senior one, but sometimes the stars don't align and they are left with one.

Comment

Originally posted by cat View Post
                      Matthew Martin did Easter from King's last year too. Perhaps it has been decided that asking an organ scholar to do Carols from King's, Easter from King's and 9LC all in a couple of weeks might be a bit much. Also, the intention is to always have two organ scholars, a junior and senior one, but sometimes the stars don't align and they are left with one.
                      That makes sense. Haven’t seen the latest Easter one yet.
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

A pity the Bairstow's The Lammentation was cut short
                        Agreed.

Comment

Thought Chester Cathedral gave an exciting Easter day broadcast with some epic seasonal music!

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                            Why not just enjoy the broadcast? No need to ask questions

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Martin View Post
                              Why not just enjoy the broadcast? No need to ask questions
                              Thank you, Matthew. I certainly did enjoy the broadcast but, as a long time follower of both the Christmas and Easter services some questions do pop into one's head as one watches!
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                              X