X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

they started it half as fast again as Harvey marks in the score (crotchet = 72), but there was such rhythmic vitality and clarity of part-singing that it worked well;
    Yes, it struck me as rather fast, and I felt they over-articualted the opening (and oft repeated) 'I love the Lord'...but hey, well done for doing the piece...not easy, but from the pen of a truly innovative composer. Any hope of Veni Sancte Spiritus on the music lists this year?

Comment

• decantor
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Yes, it struck me as rather fast, and I felt they over-articualted the opening (and oft repeated) 'I love the Lord'...but hey, well done for doing the piece...not easy, but from the pen of a truly innovative composer. Any hope of Veni Sancte Spiritus on the music lists this year?
      I reckoned they were going for a sort of drumbeat effect with the eponymous text - that tempo, and staccato, suggested timps to my mind. I don't think it was part of Harvey's vision, and that interpretation becomes harder to justify or sustain as the piece develops, but I did find it interesting. The whole presentation was precise and well chiselled, IMO, but I'll be happy to return to the 'standard English' form. But yes - well done them!

I think St John's is your best chance of Veni Sancte Spiritus.

Comment

• Simon

Having now heard it through, we loved it.

Yes, it was a bit like a concert - or perhaps more like the traditional Lessons and Carols that we have at Christmas. But it had to be, I think, and it was beautifully chosen and put together, in our opinion - readings, homily and music just right.

Glad they didn't use the over-arranged version of Gilead, and what a glorious finish with Brahms.

Comment

Working...
        X