X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Magnificat
    • May 2024

Flashmob Evensong at St Paul's

This was described in the Daily telegraph as the most beautiful evensong ever heard in London.

Did any poster on this Forum take part?

What setting was sung?

VCC
  • Vile Consort
    • Nov 2010

What I heard of it on the news was an attempt to sing "All my hope on God is founded" (tune "Michael") in four-part harmony, a capella. There were, shall we say, problems of intonation, balance and ensemble. I would have to question the DoM's judgement in his/her selection of this particular hymn given the abilities of the choir and the less than ideal circumstances.

I strongly suspect there were no boys on the top line.

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
      Late Member
      • Dec 2010

There's a video of a bit of it here:

If they're planning on doing another, maybe they could run to that dreadful anthem by Ouseley, Jerusalem on high, with the immortal words:

Ah me ! ah me, that I
      In Kedar's tents here stay!

Just a thought.
      My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by Miles Coverdale View Post

that dreadful anthem by Ouseley,
        Really? Not one that we did so I don't know it, but given his repertoire that we covered - and very much liked - I'm surprised that he wrote anything "dreadful".

Comment

• njfreestone

I gather that the canticles were sung to Parish Psalter Set A and the anthem was Tallis - If Ye Love Me.

More information from the organiser here: http://artsyhonker.blogspot.com/2011...-flashmob.html. I think the choir were just members of the public who volunteered through Twitter.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Valiant try/

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
              Late Member
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
              Really? Not one that we did so I don't know it, but given his repertoire that we covered - and very much liked - I'm surprised that he wrote anything "dreadful".
              All a matter of taste, I know, but I find it pretty turgid stuff. But what else is there that's done these days? There's the Evening Service in E (which I've never sung), From the rising of the sun (which is truly grim). But that's pretty much it, unless someone's going to resurrect The Martyrdom of St Polycarp, but I can't imagine that happening any time soon.

Perhaps they could try How goodly are the tents...
              My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• W.Kearns
                • Dec 2010

The flashmob evensong was both prayerful and courageous. Ouseley - sometime persecuted curate of St Saviour's, Pimlico, later founder of St Michael's College, Tenbury - would be absolutely the right man for the moment. The C of E needs its heroes.

Comment

• Magnificat

I did wonder whether they might have sung psalm 84 what with its references to the House of God and tents!!

VCC

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by Miles Coverdale View Post
                    All a matter of taste, I know, but I find it pretty turgid stuff. But what else is there that's done these days? There's the Evening Service in E (which I've never sung), From the rising of the sun (which is truly grim). But that's pretty much it, unless someone's going to resurrect The Martyrdom of St Polycarp, but I can't imagine that happening any time soon.

Perhaps they could try How goodly are the tents...
                    Lol!

As for what else, the B minor service is rather pleasant and eminently singable and the truly excellent "Is it nothing to you" was one of our favourites (and is, I think, quite widely known).

And from a group of trebles who were fans of the usual blockbusters: Insane and Vain, How lovely, Greater Love, I was glad and such like, that's saying quite a lot, I think! - though we did very much like singing Byrd, Weelkes etc. - so maybe we were just broad-minded for our ages.

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
                      Late Member
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                      If I am not mistaken, all religions advocate peace?
                      I think that depends entirely on which bits of their holy books one reads, and which bits one conveniently ignores.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

[The 'political' posts have been moved to 'Canons of St Paul's' on Platform 3. Can we stick to comments on the evensong service here, please?]
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                        X