X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jillfc
    • Jun 2024

Southwark's Cecilian launch of the new choirbook

Did anyone else get along to Festal Evensong in Southwark Cathedral this afternoon (22 November) at which the new Choirbook for the Queen - a collection of 44 anthems composed in the last 10 years, some commissioned for this publication - was launched? It was a fine event: some lovely music, beautifully sung; a thoughtful and appropriate sermon and a general sense of collaboration in A Good Thing. Those involved in both the service and the project more generally should, I think, feel very proud of themselves (and I speak, I should add, as an atheist with little enthusiasm for the monarchy who takes some convincing about enterprises of this sort).
  • Wolsey
    • Nov 2010

It was an excellent occasion, attended by members of the Choirbook Team, donors and subscribers, composers, and representatives of the eighty participating choirs which will all receive a set of books. http://www.choirbookforthequeen.org.uk

Comment

• mopsus
      • Nov 2010

Choirbooks are in fashion at the moment. Merton College Oxford is planning one for the College's 750th anniversary in 2014.

Comment

• decantor
        • Dec 2010

I first heard about this project ages ago, and promptly forgot about it. I am delighted to hear that it was launched in the right spirit on St Cecilia's day. It is also immensely encouraging to discover that 'Diamond Subscribers' were found to stock the library shelves of no less than eighty choral foundations with this new collection. We must hope that the editors chose the contents wisely, and that the choirbook finds itself frequently taken down from those library shelves: the list of composers has stellar quality.

Comment

• Magnificat

I wonder, did anyone ask the Queen what pieces she likes and that might have been included?

VCC

Comment

• jillfc

I take it that your comment, Magnificat, is somewhat tongue in cheek - though I think that P Maxwell Davies did say that the project had been discussed with the Queen.

The reason I'm replying to your post, though, is that your avatar gives you away: the cathedral cat, which made a perky appearance after the service but before the speeches and was mentioned by Robert Ponsonby as upstaging all other participants, could have posed for your photo.

Comment

• Magnificat

Can't stand speeches so I got out quick.

As regards the Queen yes and no. No doubt she does have her likes and dislikes, it is well known that she is not a fan of Benjamin Britten for example.

For all we know she may not like Gabriel Jackson's work!! - sorry Gabriel definitely tongue in cheek. It's a great honour for you to be included in the book.

VCC.

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
                • May 2011

Originally posted by Magnificat View Post

As regards the Queen yes and no. No doubt she does have her likes and dislikes, it is well known that she is not a fan of Benjamin Britten for example.

For all we know she may not like Gabriel Jackson's work!! - sorry Gabriel definitely tongue in cheek. It's a great honour for you to be included in the book.

VCC.
                I don't think the point of it was to compile a collection of pieces the Queen likes!

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                  • Nov 2010

Correction:
                  She did (?does) like Britten in C at Mattins in St George's WC: "it's short" she is alleged to have said.

Originally posted by Magnificat View Post

VCC.

Comment

• bach736
                    • Nov 2010

'Sharing the music of heaven'

Interesting commentary on the new Choirbook from Stephen Shipley this morning on Prayer for Today.

Comment

• Simon

That it's been published by Canterbury Press rather than RSCM did initially give me some hope, unfortunately nullified quite quickly by hearing that Sir Peter was involved.

If all it is is a collection of modernist crap by posers, sycophants and the "great and the good" of the church music establishment, then of course it will be publicised by their friends at the BBC and then, eventually, forgotten. I suppose it largely depends on who the allegedly "distinguished" musicians are who chose the stuff within it.

But let's be hopeful that it's packed full of glorious, melodious works of craftsmanship and splendour that will ring out regularly in cathedrals throughout the land for centuries to come...

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
                        • May 2011

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                        That it's been published by Canterbury Press rather than RSCM did initially give me some hope, unfortunately nullified quite quickly by hearing that Sir Peter was involved.

If all it is is a collection of modernist crap by posers, sycophants and the "great and the good" of the church music establishment, then of course it will be publicised by their friends at the BBC and then, eventually, forgotten. I suppose it largely depends on who the allegedly "distinguished" musicians are who chose the stuff within it.

But let's be hopeful that it's packed full of glorious, melodious works of craftsmanship and splendour that will ring out regularly in cathedrals throughout the land for centuries to come...
                        Do you actually know anything about what is in this collection, or who was responsible for putting it together?

Comment

• decantor
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post

Simon - why so ungenerous a post? Why the heavy irony in your final sentence (oh yes there is!)? Do you not believe in the constant regeneration of the cathedral repertoire? Can you not bring yourself to see that this new choirbook is an affirmation of belief in the future of our cathedral choral tradition? Would you have been a 'doubter' when the Eton Choirbook was compiled? Would you lock our choirs for ever in the music of the past?

I have not yet heard any of the pieces included in this new compilation, and I may like none of them (though I suspect I will like most). Yet the whole project - including the dissemination of multiple copies to all our major choral foundations - is a wonderful statement of confidence in Anglican choral music that should excite our gratitude. And how could PMD - whatever your view of his music - not be included, considering his position? I regret so much that you do not see the positive aspects of this enterprise when even young choristers take pleasure in performing the music of their own time. Howells, Britten, Leighton, Moore and others pushed out the boundaries, but there is further yet to go. Our living composers capture modern uncertainties, and provide spiritual resolution or not, as they see fit: we are lucky that they are still concerned to offer their insights. Against the odds, cathedral music is still alive and kicking hard - Deo gratias!
                          Last edited by decantor; 21-12-11, 04:01.

Comment

Working...
                          X