Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Norwich Cathedral 7th Dec 2011

CE Norwich Cathedral
    Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Order of Service:

Introit: Hail gladdening light (Wood)
    Responses: Ayleward
    Hymn: O strength and stay (O strength and stay)
    Psalm: 37 (Goss, Ouseley)
    First Lesson: Amos 9:11-end
    Canticles: Howells in B minor
    Second Lesson: Philippians 4:4-9
    Anthems: And I saw a new heaven (Bainton)
    A Hymn to the Virgin (Britten)
    Hymn: The Lord will come and not be slow (St Stephen)

Organ Voluntary: Moderato con moto from Sonata in A minor (William Harris)

Thomas Primrose (Conductor)
    David Dunnett (Organist/Acting Director of Music)
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

...and David Lowe???

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Indeed. Good question.

Comment

• AscribeUntoTheLad

What about him? He left this summer.

Comment

• bach736
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AscribeUntoTheLad View Post
          What about him? He left this summer.
          If you'd like the detail :

Also see our FoR3 thread for Lichfield 6th July

Comment

• gainasbass

As Thomas Primrose is Acting Assistant Organist and Director of the Cathedral Girls' Choir (and David Dunnett, the Acting DOM, is playing for the service), perhaps this means that the service will be sung by girls and the men(?). The Cathedral Service List does not indicate, but the girls were singing Evensong yesterday, and the men are singing tomorrow and Friday. I shall attempt to listen to the broadcast (hopefully) with an open mind!

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

This afternoon @ 3.30

With Tom Primrose conducting instead of David Dunnett, it certainly does seem a possibility that it is the Norwich girls.

Comment

• Daveinnorfolk

The boys on a wednesday, as normal. David does enjoy playing, and it is never a great surprise for the music team to be this way round, especially with Tom's conducting experience and expertiese.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Thanks for info.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

From my CE records begun in 2007, Norwich have not appeared on CE since then until now. Maybe since the days of Michael Nicholas? Corrections, please?

Willing and enthusiastic singing, just a wee tad rough in places, two or three on top line who really led from the front. Trebles sounded like work in progress to me, but with more than a little potential. Basses sounded good, and David Dunnett's Harris voluntary was full of colour.

Delighted to have Norwich back on the list. And NO 'tourist guide intro' either. Huzza!

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

So no-one listened?

Comment

• gainasbass

Yes, I did Draco. I agree with you, good to have Norwich back after what seems an age. I may be mistaken, but my last recollection of a Norwich broadcast CE was in the days of Michael Nicholas. (Before that, I can remember when Heathcote Statham was in charge!). Re today's service, some excellent organ accompaniment and playing by DD (and the organ registrations appeared to be well captured by the BBC Engineers), a solid back row, but during the broadcast I was under the impression that it could be the girls. However, thanks to the informative post by Daveinnorfolk I now understand that the boys were providing the top line (and, although in places they tended to sound a bit 'Septemberish'. I do not underestimate the modern-day pressures which are placed upon these young voices on such occasions). The psalms were well sung (those Ouseley chants still take a lot of beating!), and the canticles and anthems were certainly given justice. The service was well ordered, and a credit to East Anglia. Thank you to all at Norwich for allowing the nation to eavesdrop on this service.

Comment

• decantor
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                          So no-one listened?
                          I always listen, but I don't invariably have much to say. Yet Norwich does deserve a post...... I thoroughly enjoyed the service as a fine example of an English cathedral evensong - I understand Draco's comments about the trebs, but I found them fresh and honest and 'fit for purpose', while the men were all one could wish. One peculiarity of the engineering is that, for the first time, it did not produce enough stereo separation - I could tell by the Dec and Can timbres that the psalms were antiphonal, but my speakers rendered both from the same spot. But even that did not spoil the pleasure - and I do like to hear a final Dismissal!

Actually, my greatest pleasure was purely personal and local - Bainton and Britten provided a superb accompaniment as, through the window of my sitting-room, the sun settled on the horizon in a great splash of gold and orange. I felt very privileged to have two senses so regaled!

Draco, my CE records go back only to Sept 2006. Still no Norwich.

Comment

• Op. XXXIX
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                            So no-one listened?
                            Unlike some fortunate members here, I'm unable to listen live due to the inconvenience of being at work where it just isn't possible.

But it was a splendid service -the Howells is a favourite- and what a pleasure to hear the Harris. A fine piece!

Comment

• Mr Stoat

Originally posted by decantor View Post
                              One peculiarity of the engineering is that, for the first time, it did not produce enough stereo separation - I could tell by the Dec and Can timbres that the psalms were antiphonal, but my speakers rendered both from the same spot. But even that did not spoil the pleasure -
                              I am no sound engineer, but would the fact that the Norwich stalls are closer together than many have anything to do with this?

Comment

Working...
                              X