• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Christmas Choral Soc repertoires

Don't want wall to wall carols but solid, challenging pieces to sing that will engage a young audience.

What suggestions would you have for a thrilling and exciting programme for a choral soc to prepare for a late Nov/ early Dec concert?
  • Y Mab Afradlon
    • Nov 2010

Does anyone know There is no Rose by Simon Preston. Written for the King's Singers. A very lyrical opening contrasted by a very syncopated section and lush harmonies at the cadences. Well worth an e-mail to Banks for an archive copy reprint and the few hours sorting out the close harmonies and rhythms.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Is this for next year, Draco? The Cowboy Carol, Rejoice in the Lamb, A Boy was Born (Benjamin Britten) in massively ascending order of difficulty.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Gulp! Totally agree about Britten - love his choral music. Decently challenging, worth rehearsing too. Hmm.

Comment

• Y Mab Afradlon
          • Nov 2010

Has anyone done John Rutter's When Iceicles hang? I did this with an amateur choral society I used to conduct. They were very enthusiastic but few of them read at sight and needed to rehearse things for an early December concert in September. It posed enough of a technical challenge to them and was easy on the ear for the audience. I commend this piece to board members.

Comment

Working...
          X