Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • terratogen
    • Nov 2011

I agree with LJB: I thought this service splendidly sung. When alone, the trebles occasionally struck my ear a bit 'young' for the senior choristers; some smiley vowels, perhaps? Beyond that, though, I have no real criticism to offer. I've always thought the psalms from Wells particularly compelling, and the pace of the Stanford didn't bother me in the least; the singers, without ever losing control of the line, approached and executed the elongated dynamic swells with a warm, welcome vigour that added to rather than detracted from the piece.

Since we've waded briefly into the chorister question, I should perhaps admit my gratitude to foundations like Wells and to their choir-trainers, whose boys are consistently excellent, whose girls are consistently excellent, and whose 'Great Choir', at least to my ear, truly is. It cheers me to hear proof, in this, a more 'Anglican standard' CE broadcast than we've heard from Wells the past few cycles, that Matthew Owens and the rest of the music department do not compartmentalise the boys and men as the standard-bearers of tradition (however we're going to define that) and the girls as the twelve-year-old horsemen of the somehow divorced and interloping modern. And to hear the result so well and lovingly done—? This, to me, is tradition thriving. Thank you, Wells, for this service. I look forward to listening again.

Comment

• Keraulophone
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roger Judd View Post
      ...the anthem was hugely enhanced by the sensitive and superb accompaniment by Jonathan Vaughn - bravo.
      Jonathan Vaughn has just given a very satisfying lunchtime recital on the Truro Father Willis, displaying much virtuosity and sensitivity. He has a Wagner at the Organ transcriptions CD out, and treated us to Lemare's arrangement of the Meistersinger overture. I only wish the page-turner could have added that exquisitely singular triangle strike.

Wolsey thirded - I used to enjoy telling that Bernard Rose story to a particular DoM every time we sang Stanford in C too quickly, and after about five years he slowed down to the indicated tempo.

Comment

• Philip
        • Sep 2012

I read the comments on here yesterday and was expecting the Stanford to sound really slow when in fact it seemed about normal to me! Indeed, I'm sure I've heard it slower! It needs to be broad and majestic, ideally with a big acoustic to propel it.

These broadcasts are often full of the weird and wonderful, with new commissions and first performances aplenty, so its always nice to hear from the established repertoire. I particularly love the Elgar anthem.

Comment

• Magnificat

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          Except that I'd guess there's a problem of presence with young boy's voices, even trained ones, against Elgarian textures? Would they not need more mature girls voices to cut it? Stanford is one thing, but Stainer and Elgar?
          Draco,

A really well trained set of boys should have no trouble in singing any of this broadcast programme in my opinion.

VCC.

Comment

• Simon

I was reallly looking forward to hearing this. It was wonderful to hear what was always one of the best - till it got lured away into the realms of the trendy and the insubstantial - back on top form in traditional repertoire again.

A superb service in every way, especially the psalm and the Stanford. Brilliant. Many thanks to all involved.

Comment

Working...
            X