X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Canterbury is a disconcerting building in which to sing, as when one sings a note it just "goes" into the ether and it is difficult to assess its effect
    It is strange how gothic cathedrals vary in this respect. At Exeter and Lichfield one feels the same.....almost like singing outdoors, except that (one hopes) the effect for listeners is a pleasant one. In others (Truro fpr instance...OK it's neo-gothic) ensemble is easier and one gets a real sense of the acoustical effect.

IMO the ideal building is the rectangular box of the neoclassical ilk (preferably without a St Paul's type dome to suck away the notes). Does anyone have any favourite?

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

There are some places, including Canterbury, where if you're not used to the effect, 'the other side' seem miles away, and you sing your line and think it's only you singing, which is scary, until you stop and hear the magical blend.

York I liked very much, despite massive reverb. Norwich's clarity and simplicity possibly a favourite. KCC one of the weirdest.

Comment

• Vox Humana
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Mr Stoat View Post
        Regarding ensemble issues, Canterbury is a disconcerting building in which to sing
        I also found it a disconcerting one in which to play when I accompanied a visiting choir for a week back in 1972. I think there may have been a video link, but I can't honestly remember and I don't recall any audio one. At any rate, the screen at Canterbury is very high and the problem of coordinating with the choir was huge. I was well used to playing slightly ahead of a choir in order to achieve co-ordination, but Canterbury was something else entirely. I got the hang of it after two or three days, but not before I had nearly been reduced to tears. It ought not to be a problem for a resident team, but they would still have my sympathies.

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
          I also found it a disconcerting one in which to play when I accompanied a visiting choir for a week back in 1972. I think there may have been a video link, but I can't honestly remember and I don't recall any audio one. At any rate, the screen at Canterbury is very high and the problem of coordinating with the choir was huge. I was well used to playing slightly ahead of a choir in order to achieve co-ordination, but Canterbury was something else entirely. I got the hang of it after two or three days, but not before I had nearly been reduced to tears. It ought not to be a problem for a resident team, but they would still have my sympathies.
          There wasn't any video link in 1972, the only way the organist could see the conductor at all was by leaning very far and low to his/her left and peering down a small aperture that had been opened up in the choir screen!

Comment

• Vox Humana
            • Dec 2012

Thank you, Gabriel!

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

back in 1972. I think there may have been a video link,
              Vox. I don't recall closed-circuit links in those days (though I never played at Canterbury). 'Twas all done by mirrors, so long as the conductor didn't step out of view!

Comment

• Vox Humana
                • Dec 2012

Thanks, ardcap. I'm sure you're right. I can't really put a date on when I first encountered a CCTV in an organ loft. I got around a little in those days and know that in most places - maybe all - it was indeed a matter of looking in mirrors. My memory of Canterbury is certainly one of playing without any aids, but it was all so long ago that I can't entirely trust my memory any more.

Comment

• Mr Stoat

Thanks, ardcap. I'm sure you're right. I can't really put a date on when I first encountered a CCTV in an organ loft. I got around a little in those days and know that in most places - maybe all - it was indeed a matter of looking in mirrors. My memory of Canterbury is certainly one of playing without any aids, but it was all so long ago that I can't entirely trust my memory any more.
                  I may have quoted this before, but the first time I played at Canterbury was in 1989 for a Deanery Choirs' Evensong. David Flood was conducting, and the CCTV had been knocked out by a lightning strike and I had to play "blind" to a certain extent although my wife was looking over and relaying the beat to me. Psalm and hymns were ok and anthem was unaccompanied I think (can't remember) but Stanford in C was a problem as I totally forgot in the Mag that David didn't want a "rall" at the end! He got one from me, but not in the Nunc!

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Lincoln was fun in the 70s. It had a sort of lean-to greenhouse built over the console (on the screen) and you could open the west door to hear the nave and the east door to hear the choir. Basically one just did it by ear. Remember doing Blessed City and really enjoying the organ solo bit in the middle...and just hoping the rest was OK.

Comment

• Androcles
                      • Oct 2012

Of its time??

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                        • Nov 2010

We certainly had an albeit terrible camera system installed by the mid-70s in Ely (Roger J could tell us if it was there any earlier). Figures processing were no better than transparent grey ghosts (probably even in 50 indiscriminate shades).

Comment

• Y Mab Afradlon
                          • Nov 2010

Back to the service ..... wasn't it pleasing to hear the wonderful voice of the late Rev. Michael Till reading the first lesson. Requiescat in pace.

Comment

Working...
                          X