X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mopsus
    • Nov 2010

Llandaff

I post this without comment, because I'm sure it will soon generate plenty. It doesn't relate directly to Radio 3, except that Llandaff are occasional broadcasters, and this may have repercussions for other choirs that broadcast evensong.

• ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Pretty poor show. I hope the lay clerks and asst organist are not going to be put through one of these 'be given the sack and re-apply for half the number jobs' routines. It causes such hard feelings. Special Festivals are mentioned in the article. Yes, everyone likes a pretty choir, carols and candles at Christmas. The D&C need to consider how full their cathedral would be with just a few aged clerics, however finely garbed.

I used to sing a lot with an ex-Llandaff lay clerk called Terry, now sadly deceased. He had a truly magnificent bass voice and a beard to match. Anyone remember him? He will be turning in his grave right now.

Comment

• chrisjstanley
      • Dec 2010

Poor show indeed ardcarp. Sack the clergy not the choir. I'd rather listen to a choir than a sermon any day!!

bws
      Chris S

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Wonder how far the ripples will spread?
        Desperately bad news for Llandaff, and their parishioners, and the cause of singing. Erm.........in Wales?

Comment

• positif

Very sad indeed, particularly given the beautiful new Nicholson organ that's just gone in. Surely a full choir could still be viable, though - plenty of parish churches manage a very good standard of music with unpaid singers...

Comment

• subcontrabass
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by chrisjstanley View Post
            Poor show indeed ardcarp. Sack the clergy not the choir. I'd rather listen to a choir than a sermon any day!!

bws
            Chris S
            There do not seem to be any clergy to sack! According to the cathedral website they currently have only one paid priest, one unpaid, and a vacancy for a Dean.

Comment

• subcontrabass
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by positif View Post
              Very sad indeed, particularly given the beautiful new Nicholson organ that's just gone in. Surely a full choir could still be viable, though - plenty of parish churches manage a very good standard of music with unpaid singers...
              They currently seem to use three choirs. The professional choir of boys and men do two services on a Sunday and four during the week (two boys and men, one men only, and one boys only). There is a "Parish Choir" which sings two services on a Sunday, and a girls choir (from the Cathedral School) which does Monday evensong.

Comment

• bach736
                • Nov 2010

Last chance to save the Cathedral Choir :

Comment

Working...
                X