• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Norwich Cathedral Wed, 27th November 2013

CE Norwich Cathedral

Order of Service:

Introit: A Hymn of St Columba (Britten)
    Responses: Aston
    Office Hymn: Rejoice, the Lord is King (Gopsal)
    Psalms: 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 (Garrett; Turle; Grote; Garrett; Turle after Purcell; Willcocks)
    First Lesson: Jeremiah 31:1-9
    Canticles: Norwich Service (Richard Allain) (First broadcast)
    Second Lesson: Matthew 15: 21-31
    Anthem: Let all the world (Vaughan Williams)
    Te Deum: Collegium Regale (Howells)

Organ Voluntary: Psalm Prelude Set 2, No.3 (Howells)

David Dunnett (Organist)
    Ashley Grote (Master of Music)
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

So no-one listened?

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

It was not an uninterrupted listen unfortunately, but I heard some pleasing sounds. I need to LA without background clarinet practice, the phone ringing and shopping being unloaded. All that really registered was that nice 32' reed at the end of the VW.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Lot of singing and playing in this service - 17 or so minutes give or take non-stop psalm singing, couple of big hymns - sounded like a big congregation and very nice to hear them too - first broadcast canticles, RVW and Howells x 2.

Mr Grote had to bounce briskly on with the psalms to get everything in, and while there were some slightly uncomfortably rushed moments, the choir warmed to their task. Liked the canticles - nothing frightening but should be very serviceable as part of the core repertoire. The RVW strode on with big energy and was sung forthrightly, followed by the well-turned Howells Te Deum.

Trebles seemed in good fettle and responsive, with good strong tenors particularly who did not swamp, and supported and soloed when required. In fact, the choir balance was admirable, and clearly they seem to be enjoying Ashley Grote's direction.

David Dunnett for me was actually star of the show. Some really terrific playing throughout, culminating in the regal Howells Psalm Prelude.

Thx all round.

Comment

• bach736
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          sounded like a big congregation and very nice to hear them too.
          Around a hundred in the Choir transepts at a guess. Confident, controlled singing and playing - very well captured by the BBC. This was CE at its best but sadly no repeat. Listen Again before it's gone forever.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
            • Nov 2010

David conducts the choir I'm a member of and very good he is at that too. He is a very fine organist, one of these days, if I have enough courage, I might ask him to try through one of my organ works.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Listen Again before it's gone forever.
              I just did, Bach 376, and thanks for the prompt. It was a very good CE indeed, and this is the last day folks.

Firstly, what a lovely collection of shortish psalms that is. Pity about the minor BBC glitches. The regular stuff (Howells and VW) were just as one would wish to hear them; confidently sung and beautifully directed and accompanied. The canticles had some quite scary exposed bits for trebles plus treble and tenor solos, all done very well even under the pressure of live broadcasting. Maybe Allain's Mag was a bit MacMillan-ish (i.e. sewing-machine organ configuration with choir bits) but the Nunc was much more original, and I thought AG and his choir created a great sense of 'holy mystery'. (Hark at me...an agnostic!)

This was CE as it should be; dignified clergy, well paced and done with obvious attention to detail. Nonpareil from Norfolk!

Comment

• decantor
                • Dec 2010

I'm glad that, in the fulness of time, our more expert members have weighed in to express approval of this CE. There was a bucketful of music, all performed with joyful commitment, sensitivity, and expertise. Ashley Grote may be a recent arrival in Norwich, but he has clearly taken the reins to good effect. Norwich is firmly on the choral map, and I hugely enjoyed the service: many thanks to all who contributed.

Comment

Working...
                X