The Choir -a little confusion this Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

The Choir -a little confusion this Sunday?

Monteverdi's 50th Anniversary, Big Bands and Choirs

Sara Mohr-Pietsch marks the 50th anniversary of the Monteverdi Choir, and gets a sneak preview of "I Got Gershwin", a brand new arrangement of Gershwin numbers for massed choirs, big band, strings and soloist, in advance of its world premiere at Bristol's International Jazz and Blues Festival. Wrexham Community Choir feature in "Meet My Choir", and Sara's great Choral Classic is the German Requiem by Brahms.
    Well, I suppose some at a casual glance might suppose it was Monteverdi's 50th.

There seem to be some strange bedfellows this week.
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

And we mustn't frighten off the little dears with more than 25 minutes of the German Requiem.

And so The Choir slips its moorings and gets further and further away from being able to be taken seriously by choir singers.
    It's just a Radio 2 style 'Hello!' magazine for those who quite like to hear people singing now and then, but nothing too heavy or technical, or getting into scary stuff about singing techniques, how to conduct, how to approach different repertoire, or.......well, anything much.
    Last edited by DracoM; 01-03-14, 12:46.

Comment

• edashtav
      • Jul 2012

Yes, soon we'll be given "There is a Green Hill, far away", a posthumous masterpiece by Monteverdi.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Comment

• Gordon
          • Nov 2010

Wrexham's in Wales - not that you'd know from the accents - only a day late!!!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
            Wrexham's in Wales - not that you'd know from the accents - only a day late!!!
            Another lost opportunity! I don't listen to The Choir anymore, it's just a hodge-podge, so I turn over to R4.

Comment

• Gordon
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              Another lost opportunity! I don't listen to The Choir anymore, it's just a hodge-podge, so I turn over to R4.
              I only came over after the footy!! but I did come specially for Wrexham - who were not in the footy - but that was very short, although very sweet, which is not very, well, er, Wrexham really!!

Glad they used the Klemperer Brahms Requiem. Never bettered.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

I listened to the interesting JEG stuff, but turned off SM-P's "best bits" of the Brahms Requiem.

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  I listened to the interesting JEG stuff, but turned off SM-P's "best bits" of the Brahms Requiem.
                  Well I listened to it all and enjoyed it - my letter of resignation is in the post........

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

MusickModelsRUs send you, in 50 easy-to-assemble weekly parts the ruins of a fine tradition. Construction easy, demands on attention easy, friendly, daytime TV style magazine presentation.

Strewth.

Comment

Working...
                    X