• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Julius Reubke

A couple of things.

Organistas hereabouts should take time out to listen to the Gillian Weir recital from 2001 which was broadcast yesterday evening,fantastic stuff.

Included in the concert is Reubke's Sonata in the 94th Psalm which was new to me.
    One of the pinnacles of the Organ repertoire I believe,what an amazing piece,I listened to it twice today.
    The composer died at the age of 24 and virtually all his Piano and Organ output would appear to fit on one cd which I think I will buy https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reubke-Pian...eywords=Reubke

Any thoughts on the Sonata,composer or cd recommendations ?
  • Op. XXXIX
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post

Try Dame Weir's recording on Priory. The final measures of the fugue guaranteed to 'knock 'em flat' as a great composer once said.

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

I love that work. A few years ago Jeremy Filsell played the piano and organ versions in the same programme at St John's Smith Square. Till Fellner recorded the piano sonata (available on CD). I have also got an LP with Peter Hurford playing the organ sonata.
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Jonathan
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        A couple of things.

Organistas hereabouts should take time out to listen to the Gillian Weir recital from 2001 which was broadcast yesterday evening,fantastic stuff.

Included in the concert is Reubke's Sonata in the 94th Psalm which was new to me.
        One of the pinnacles of the Organ repertoire I believe,what an amazing piece,I listened to it twice today.
        The composer died at the age of 24 and virtually all his Piano and Organ output would appear to fit on one cd which I think I will buy https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reubke-Pian...eywords=Reubke

Hi Rob,
        I am very fond of the sonata for piano and also the Organ sonata but I have this recording (bought from JPC for a lot cheaper than Amazon are asking!) and I find the sound quality a real let down. Although I have yet to buy it, this: http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68119 sounds like it should be superb as Markus Becker is a fantastic pianist plus I believe it's the first recording of Stradal's transcription of the Organ sonata in his piano arrangement.
        Thierry Mechler's recording of the Organ sonata is excellent - plus you get the Liszt "Ad nos.." fantasy as well. Another recommendation is of Stephen Cleobury's recent recording on KGS0010 (also including "Ad nos..") plus some Mendelssohn sonatas as well.
        Hope this helps...
        Best regards,
        Jonathan

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Many thanks for all these posts

Comment

• Jonathan
            • Mar 2007

I ordered the Markus Becker recording I mentioned earlier from Hyperion this morning - along with some other discs...I'll keep you posted!
            Best regards,
            Jonathan

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
              I ordered the Markus Becker recording I mentioned earlier from Hyperion this morning - along with some other discs...I'll keep you posted!
              That's very kind of you,thanks.

I have ordered a used copy of the CPO disc which I linked in my opening post,sound quality not being the most important factor for me.
              I have also ordered the Priory disc highlighted by op.XXXIX which includes the wonderful Willan 'Introduction, Passacaglia and Fugue' and a couple of other monster pieces by the look of it.

Comment

Working...
              X