• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caussade View Post
    a comparative review of JJ's set and another which appeared recently https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/...ii-bwv669-89-0
    I do rather like how Suzuki interprets his JSB. But this James Johnstone recording does look rather a good investment
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ocarina
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Caussade View Post
      Intentionally or not, opening the disc with 681 reflects an aspect of planning in the Clavierubung as a whole. Each part (this is Peter Williams' insight, not mine) has a French Overture at its centre (opening of Partita 4: the first movement of the French Overture in Pt 2: BWV 681: the 16th variation of the Goldbergs). BWV 552 - a French Overture, albeit stylised - stands at the centre of the entire Clavierubung. PW also points out a pleasing further conceit - the tonic notes of the partitas in succession - Bb, c, a, D, G, e - make a little tune which leads to the chord of F major - which is the first thing you hear at the start of part 2, the Italian Concerto.
      Very interesting! I knew about this in the Goldbergs - apparently a 2nd beginning halfway through is a classic rhetorical device - but had never connected this to the little wir glauben. It's not much of an overture, but crafty old Bach, I can well believe it to have been intentional in composition and in CD ordering! That said, although pop music made use of "sides" as musical dividers, it is surely a practicality most of the time and decreasing in relevance with today's digital media. That doesn't stop me being an ardent vinyl and CD collector, or appreciating the division of the music in this case.

That said, both my recordings of this (Herrick and Foccroulle) split the CDs elsewhere.

There was an interesting BAL at one point on complete Bach organ works presented by Stephen Farr. Possibly still available. He recommended Foccroulle and I bought it on that basis - it is a lovely set.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Talking of complete JSB organ works, does anyone remember Lionel Rogg? I have the LPs. His playing and registration are now, I suppose, dated in the sense that his (1970s?) version of HIPP is just a bit too spiky for present taste. Terrific player though. Peter Hurford..on various organs...would still be my ultimate choice.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Talking of complete JSB organ works, does anyone remember Lionel Rogg? I have the LPs. His playing and registration are now, I suppose, dated in the sense that his (1970s?) version of HIPP is just a bit too spiky for present taste. Terrific player though.
          Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... current favourites -

Weinberger

Hanssler edn

Molardi

Foccroulle

Chapuis

Isoir

Rogg

Vernet

The uncompleted series by Oortmerssen is lovely, too...

Happy listening!

( ... I hope you have understanding neighbours! )
          Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          In LP days Lionel Rogg's versions were regarded highly, and I enjoyed several of the LPs. I don't know if the recordings are still available, or if they are so highly regarded these days.

Maybe they are only available as used CDs now - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-LOeuvr.../dp/B000027OAA
          Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          .... yes, Koopman is fun. But it's very Koopman too, with all that that entails...

I believe Weinberger's is the most complete set, and he uses nice historical instruments - as do most of those in my list of favourites. Oortmerssen I like a lot, but he never finished his survey. Chapuis, Vernet, and Isoir may be a bit too 'French' for some tastes; I love them. Rogg is pretty pure, some might find him too austere. The Hanssler set and the Silbermann set referred to by Gurnemanz in his #8 above all have lovely instruments.
          And don't forget Fagius -

So - spoilt for choice really. Largely depends on the kind of organ sound that gets you going...

Last edited by vinteuil; 25-04-18, 15:16.

Comment

• subcontrabass
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            I'm confused as well. But like you Wir Glauben (aka 'Giant Fugue' ....how did it get that name?) is one of my faves too. When let loose on a big instrument, I'm ashamed to say I do something very un-HIPP and add something extra for the final appearance of the pedal motif.
            There is an explanation of the title here: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...0Fugue&f=false

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

A friend of mine, Robert Costin has recorded JSB's Goldberg Variations on an organ. Sounds very good toop. Worth hearing!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Keraulophone
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                A friend of mine, Robert Costin has recorded JSB's Goldberg Variations on an organ. Sounds very good toop. Worth hearing!
                Does that organ have a Harpsichord stop?

When our 'Little Giant' Father Willis was being given a spring clean during the early 1990s, the Copeman Hart stand-in 3-manual 'toaster' (that later went to Keble College, Oxford for a few years) actually did have such a stop. It was used only once at Evensong, by David Briggs IIRC, which was attended by a couple of lay clerks from Exeter, who got quite a shock!

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks for the list Vints. I'll have to clear my diary one day......

Comment

Working...
                  X