X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Choir and Organ 3rd December 2017

Six pieces in 30 minutes - one and a half written for the organ (the half being a Bach Fugue detached from its Prelude) and four arrangements/transcriptions. What is the point of this programme?
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Keeping SM-P in a job?
    Apart from that........not entirely sure.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Keeping SM-P in a job?
      She doesn't need this, though - and it wastes her abilities. (Having said that, I did enjoy the King's Singers Spike Milligan setting that was on the programme when I got home last week. Wasn't sufficiently impressed with the bitty nature of the programme itself, though.)
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Frances_iom
        • Mar 2007

It is cheap filler material - there is nothing more to say about the program - but as commented it keeps one of the staff busy for the 10mins to select CD and read out the CD cover - surely this must be one of those jobs soon delegated to robot AI assuming R3 makes it beyond the next couple of years.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
          Six pieces in 30 minutes - one and a half written for the organ (the half being a Bach Fugue detached from its Prelude) and four arrangements/transcriptions. What is the point of this programme?
          One month on, and quite possibly a new low 'de profundis inanitatis'. SMP's departing affirmation that we should click & 'follow through' seemed all too appropriate. It would be so easy & still cheap to do this programme well...

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Comment

• Constantbee
              • Jul 2017

I gave up on this very quickly, having stumbled across it just before Christmas. If you didn't know what it was about what would expect from a programme called 'Choir and Organ' ? Ah, church music! Hymn settings perhaps. New arrangements. Less well known foreign hymns, maybe by respected foreign choirs. And music from famous or special organs. It's the programme title that's wrong. Could do better.
              And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
                One month on, and quite possibly a new low 'de profundis inanitatis'. SMP's departing affirmation that we should click & 'follow through' seemed all too appropriate. It would be so easy & still cheap to do this programme well...
                Doing it better would be a start...I like listening to organ music, but know virtually nothing about the subject or the beast itself, and this slot isn't really doing anything to remedy that. It's obviously not intended for organ afficionados, and once a month is more than a little pointless for such a shallow offering pretending to be an organ slot, so why not just do what it says on the tin and have choir and organ each week? Preferably with more intelligent content - well one can dream...

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

But this programme NEVER talks about technicals at all. It's just 'tracks' and mumble around a 'theme'. And as SM-P knows nowt about either, all she is required to do is gush and intro 'tracks'.

No discussion on vocal techniques, analysis of different styles in different countries - NOT just playing 'tracks' but actually taking apart- and how choir trainers work, the ageing voices in boys / girls / men / women, the details of organ construction, history of, and playing of.

You get more technical stuff on these Forum threads than on the BBC programme dedicated to it. As usual, the BBC think of the programme as just more wallpaper.

Imagine if GQT just said how pretty flowers were or how succulent veggies were and nothing about advice, recommendations, cultivation, diseases, solutions, AND enshrined differences of opinion too etc?
                  Last edited by DracoM; 08-01-18, 11:48.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                    Imagine if GQT just said how pretty flowers were or how succulent veggies were and nothing about advice, recommendations, cultivation, diseases, solutions, AND enshrined differences of opinion too etc?
                    Gawd, don't go putting ideas into their heads Draco, although I'm sure that in the current post-factual environment someone has already thought of it.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

BUT given that of all instruments, the organ is more susceptible to the aural than any other, detailed talk of how, why, if, etc etc would be truly aurally interesting and informative / educative.

I know organists are a fascinating, quiet, often secret society of insiders, but given how many in the nation are weekly even daily exposed to organs / organists in so many different ways, we could cope with being educated by something less miserably superficial than what we get.

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

...but somebody said in another post on another thread, we seem to be in The Post-Fact Era, e.g. the BBC will do a documentary about submarines. You'll see the emotions of the third mate, his mother-in-law's trouble getting the right corn-plasters....but little or nothing about submarines. Too much to hope, therefore, that we'll get much detail about the fascinating 'kist of whistles' that is the organ.

Comment

• Dafydd y G.W.
                          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                          ...but somebody said in another post on another thread, we seem to be in The Post-Fact Era, e.g. the BBC will do a documentary about submarines. You'll see the emotions of the third mate, his mother-in-law's trouble getting the right corn-plasters....but little or nothing about submarines. Too much to hope, therefore, that we'll get much detail about the fascinating 'kist of whistles' that is the organ.
                          The logical outcome of Romanticism, elevating feelings above reason, itself a reaction to the excessive emphasis the Enlightenment placed on reason.

The addition of a dash of Post-modernism just exacerbates the problem: when there's your "truth" and there's my "truth" feelings become the nearest thing there is to an objective reality.

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

You put things so much more eloquently than I ever could......

Comment

• subcontrabass
                              • Nov 2010

I note that there seem to be no playlists available for programmes after 10th December.

Comment

Working...
                              X