• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

The organist doesn't entertain any more..apparently

Tonight on Radio 2 at 11pm Nigel Ogden presents the last ever edition of The Organist Entertains. What is perhaps even more extraordinary is that the Radio Times prints an article on today's Radio page of Radio Times damning the BBC's decision to 'pull' the programme.

Cimema and theatre organ music isn't really my 'bag', but I admire the players and their skill hugely. Some instruments too, with their tremulants, glockenspiels, and general sound-effects are terrific examples of the organ-builder's art.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

It's just tooooo not Radio 2 these days. Friday Night Is Music Night will be the next (last?) - even though it's already Easy Listening. It's just not pop.

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    Tonight on Radio 2 at 11pm Nigel Ogden presents the last ever edition of The Organist Entertains. What is perhaps even more extraordinary is that the Radio Times prints an article on today's Radio page of Radio Times damning the BBC's decision to 'pull' the programme.

Cimema and theatre organ music isn't really my 'bag', but I admire the players and their skill hugely. Some instruments too, with their tremulants, glockenspiels, and general sound-effects are terrific examples of the organ-builder's art.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Conchis
      Banned
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      It's just tooooo not Radio 2 these days. Friday Night Is Music Night will be the next (last?) - even though it's already Easy Listening. It's just not pop.

Soon, there'll be nowhere to go for people to get their Ivor Novello fix.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
        Soon, there'll be nowhere to go for people to get their Ivor Novello fix.
        You're right there - I don't think Jo Whiley or Trevor Nelson have ever heard of him!

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post

A sad loss. Radio 2 is pandering to the young mainstream.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            A very uncaring regime! It’s all about ratings!

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

But why does that have to mean getting rid of the last 1 or 2 longstanding programmes such as this? Do they offend the intended new audience so much as to be totally unacceptable? I don't believe that once a week an 'outside the target audience' programme would result in mass movement away from the station. Another example of the top-down nanny knows best(because she doesn't allow facts to get in the way of an opinon) approach to broadcasting?

Comment

• Keraulophone
                • Nov 2010

This is so sad.

The final programme demonstrated how well ‘light’ music (of which Radio 2 clearly ought to be the preserve) can sound on some of the great cathedral organs. Nigel Ogden came down to show us how on the Truro Father Willis a few years ago, and here we heard its bigger brothers at Lincoln (Hernando’s Hideaway) and Hereford Cathedral (featuring its splendid Willis Tuba). Mr Ogden, who has compared the programme for 38 of its 49 years, told us that he plays for church services most Sundays. I’d love to hear some of his gospel improvisations!

He bowed out with From This Moment On played on the famous Wurlizer in the Blackpool ballroom. So, from this moment on there will be even less organ music (of all kinds) broadcast on the wireless by the BBC. Shameful.

Incidentally, it was a pleasant surprise to hear St Paul’s Cathedral School Choir rounding off this morning’s Today Programme on R4 with I Was Glad, even though I’m not feeling very glad having just written the above.
                Last edited by Keraulophone; 09-05-18, 09:32. Reason: Italicisation

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  But why does that have to mean getting rid of the last 1 or 2 longstanding programmes such as this? Do they offend the intended new audience so much as to be totally unacceptable?
                  They are totally unacceptable to those in control of Radio 2. This has been happening since 2007, starting with Your Hundred Best Tunes.

I imagine it's because they want to attract the next generation of listeners. The problem is that the fans will probably complain, but make do with the pop from Sounds of the Seventies and Sounds of the Eighties rather than venture over to Radio 3. Except when Radio 3 tries to lure them over with the lighter classics, bleeding chunks …
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Very sad that the BBC are doing this. Also no more Listen to the band anymore either!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                      Very sad that the BBC are doing this. Also no more Listen to the band anymore either!
                      Jenny Abramsky, then Director of Music, gave a speech to the Radio Academy in July 2004 in which she said:

"Radio 2 nurtures talent, plays the broadest range of music, more than any other radio station, supports folk, jazz, gospel as well as operetta and rock 'n' roll."

At that point (July 2004), this is what a standard week offered (how many still survive?), in addition to the pop programmes :

Bob Harris Country
                      Paul Jones Classic blues
                      Stuart Maconie short series on Ray Charles
                      Richard Baker: FNIMN
                      Stuart Maconie's Critical List (Brian Eno experimental)
                      Desmond Carrington (Classical, rock 'n' roll, swing and opera tracks)
                      Russell Davies (Cole Porter, Anything Goes)
                      Melodies for You (Sheridan Morley)
                      Richard Baker Your Hundred Best Tunes
                      Malcolm Laycock (swing, big band)
                      David Jacobs (Tunes from Hollywood, Broadway and Tin Pan Alley)
                      Humphrey Lyttelton (best of jazz)
                      Courtney Pine's Jazz Crusade, short series
                      Helen Mayhew, Big Band Special
                      Tony Robinson, short series, Classical Feast
                      Nigel Ogden, The Organist Entertains
                      George Melly, short series, Empress of the Blues (Bessie Smith)
                      Mica Paris, short series (soul)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        A very uncaring regime! It’s all about ratings!
                        I'm no expert on young people's music habits but I've asked my son and daughter (28 and 32) and their friends about radio habits and they say they rarely listen to the radio. They listen to their own playlists on their devices. Never buy CDs either!

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

I'm no expert on young people's music habits but I've asked my son and daughter (28 and 32) and their friends about radio habits and they say they rarely listen to the radio. They listen to their own playlists on their devices. Never buy CDs either!
                          But I would guess it is more the 40 to 60 year olds who are being provided for on R2. This means that the 60 something to 100+ age group, which we are told is increasing due to human longevity, who are losing the prorammes they love, and maybe have been loyal Radio 2 listeners for many years.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            But I would guess it is more the 40 to 60 year olds who are being provided for on R2. This means that the 60 something to 100+ age group, which we are told is increasing due to human longevity, who are losing the prorammes they love, and maybe have been loyal Radio 2 listeners for many years.
                            I was talking about radio in general not just R2. Nevertheless I agree with you wholeheartedly about the increasing amount of people age 60+ who are being excluded.
                            Maybe that is down to production staff being under that age group.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Speaking from the advantaged position of being a 72-year old, this could well be the latest and most effective ideological attack against our over-pampered, over catered for baby boom generation, who are now just too expensive for a capitalism visibly dying on its feet to support in appreciation of their (our) contribution to making unsustainable consumerism work unsustainably for so long. Yes, we were the "Beat Generation" in its various manifestations, but we still appreciated our childhood musical backdrop for an age that promised freedom, prosperity and an end to all wars. Next they'll get around to plugging campaigns in support of assisted dying on Radio 1.

Comment

Working...
                              X