X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lento
    • Jan 2014

Léon Cathedral

The Times describes the appointment of a disabled priest as organist of Léon Cathedral, Spain, and the dissent voiced by his (retiring) predecessor at the choice. The disability apparently places some limits on the man's repertoire, as he "is missing several fingers from one hand". The retiree states that such posts attract fewer applicants than hitherto: apparently there were only 2 applicants this time. The appointment is said to have been made last year, with the appointment delayed to allow the man to take the necessary organ degree.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Very naughtily I cannot help being reminded of

From "Beyond the Fringe," their complete 1964 gala farewell performance

I would add that for many years, Bridgwater Parish Church had an organist with a right arm only. He did a great job I think, but clearly didn't need to attempt challenging repertoire.

Comment

• Lento
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Very naughtily I cannot help being reminded of

From "Beyond the Fringe," their complete 1964 gala farewell performance

I would add that for many years, Bridgwater Parish Church had an organist with a right arm only. He did a great job I think, but clearly didn't need to attempt challenging repertoire.
      From what I can see of the Times photo, it was the successful Spanish candidate's right hand that was affected: all very difficult.

Comment

• Roger Judd
        • Apr 2012

A year after the Klais organ was installed Mrs Judd and I happened upon León cathedral on the anniversary of the dedication of the building. A friendly steward told us to come back in the late afternoon for the 'special' Mass and we would hear the organ. So, a few hours later we sat ourselves down close to the high-tech console and waited. Silence ... until a minute before the service was due to begin a priest, fully robed, slid on to the bench, adjusted the microphone, pressed a pre-set piston, and launched into the Introit. From the number of splodged pedal notes I deduced that he was wearing Doc Martins. He played everything on one manual (it has 5!), and only used a few pre-set pistons, and very rudimentary harmony. At the end there was a sort-of grade 1 improvisation, and that was it. I introduced myself and asked if I might play, but I was brushed aside. He was not THE organist ... that was Signor Rubio, and judging from his concert programmes he can play. The whole situation is utterly astonishing.
        RJ

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Visiting a daughter doing a gap year in Spain, I happened upon a rather fine instrument up on a gellery in Santillana del Mar...Trompeta Real and all that. My daughter (who has fluent Spanish) asked the priest if her Dad could play it. It was a Saturday. The reply was on the lines of, Not now but he can come and play all he likes during the Mass tomorrow morning. As you say, Roger, astonishing. Sadly we were not staying there overnight, so I never got my chance to aid the Elevation..
          Last edited by ardcarp; 06-07-20, 18:25.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roger Judd View Post
            A year after the Klais organ was installed Mrs Judd and I happened upon León cathedral on the anniversary of the dedication of the building. A friendly steward told us to come back in the late afternoon for the 'special' Mass and we would hear the organ. So, a few hours later we sat ourselves down close to the high-tech console and waited. Silence ... until a minute before the service was due to begin a priest, fully robed, slid on to the bench, adjusted the microphone, pressed a pre-set piston, and launched into the Introit. From the number of splodged pedal notes I deduced that he was wearing Doc Martins. He played everything on one manual (it has 5!), and only used a few pre-set pistons, and very rudimentary harmony. At the end there was a sort-of grade 1 improvisation, and that was it. I introduced myself and asked if I might play, but I was brushed aside. He was not THE organist ... that was Signor Rubio, and judging from his concert programmes he can play. The whole situation is utterly astonishing.
            RJ
            I wonder, Roger, if this whom you unfortunately witnesses: quite horrific - but the punters seems impressed by the 'noise' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJBeeUt9eNc

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I wonder if anyone suggested to the Holy Farther that his pedal technique would be improved by not playing the naturals with his feet under the organ bench? It would make the gap to the sharps so much less....and might even stop his cassock from falling down all the time!
              Last edited by ardcarp; 07-07-20, 08:53.

Comment

• Roger Judd
                • Apr 2012

OMG ... I think you might be right ... he does look vaguely familiar. My next thought is, how the **** does he manage the repertoire that appears on his programmes with a pedal technique like that? Thanks for sharing the link.
                RJ

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roger Judd View Post
                  OMG ... I think you might be right ... he does look vaguely familiar. My next thought is, how the **** does he manage the repertoire that appears on his programmes with a pedal technique like that? Thanks for sharing the link.
                  RJ
                  Sadly, there's more! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZoXSs7MpOo
                  though I'm not sure he merits the publicity.

Comment

• Lento
                    • Jan 2014

yikes:

Comment

Working...
                    X