Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christchurch Cathedral Oxford

Much has been discussed about neo-classical organs in Oxbridge colleges, so I won't start it off again here as there are good and bad points.
    The Messiaen Joie et clarté sounded good today, even if different from the acoustic of l'Église de la Sainte-Trinité!

Comment

Yes, I must say I prefer Messiaen in a richer acoustic - and, whatever else, CCCOx ain't that!
      BUT
      delighted to have it on air.

Comment

King's Organ

and

Description de l'orgue de la chapelle du King's College de Cambridge(Angleterre) / Description of the organ in the King's College Chapel, in Cambridge (England)

(Scroll down if you want English, and a specification.)

Comment

Eton College Chapel Organ

The Hill organ in Eton College Chapel was built in 1885, re-using a little earlier pipework - notably the 32' basses which J L Pearson cleverly incorporated

If you've been in Eton College Chapel, you'll be impressed by two things, the magnificent organ case and the fan vaulting...until maybe you learn that the latter was made in the 1950s from concrete. Still, it reminds you of Kings, and gives the chapel a fair acoustic. My memory of a visit years ago was (a) the lusty massed singing of a hymn (Thee Will I Love by Armstrong Gibbs) by a load of sundry musicians of which I was one, and (b) wonder of wonders, the bringing out of THE Eton Choir book and the singing from it by a few music scholars.

Comment

Wells Cathedral

Although today's re-broadcast was a cappella, it would have been interesting to post up details of the organ. My efforts at searching online for decent information has failed! Doubly annoying as I have accompanied visiting choirs on it several times in the past!

Can anyone find a decent webpage with details of the last rebuild and current specification?

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              Wells Cathedral

Although today's re-broadcast was a cappella, it would have been interesting to post up details of the organ. My efforts at searching online for decent information has failed! Doubly annoying as I have accompanied visiting choirs on it several times in the past!

Can anyone find a decent webpage with details of the last rebuild and current specification?
              This, or has there been something more recent?

Comment

Thanks, Pulcs. That is how I remember it, but I think there may have been a rebuild since. Maybe someone can confirm and maybe add more info?

Comment

... Maybe someone can confirm and maybe add more info?
                  I have a CD recorded April 1995 by Roger Fisher at Wells recorded on a Copeman Hart electronic? organ whilst the main organ was out of service being cleaned
                  not sure if I have a later recording from Wells but maybe check Priory records?

Comment

The National Pipe Organ Register gives the same stop list from 1994: https://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=N06893 . The only change noted from 1973 is a new set of pistons.

Comment

This organ has its critics on the British Pipe Organs Fb page, largely due to its sound being hampered by those huge C14th scissor arches. While it serves the Quire well, a Nave division would improve westward audibility, though might conflict with the resplendent architecture of the Nave. Other opinions about it sounding alright up to mf, no room for a pedal 32ft etc, can be found there, including comparison of its 1857 (Willis), 1910 (Harrison) and 1974 (Harrison) states. It’s a long time since I sang to its accompaniment (The Four Choirs Festival - RIP), but I recall it being amenable, if unexciting (in the Truro sense!), and not liking the case very much, surrounded as it is by the most glorious gothic architecture.

Comment

As I recall, whatever its shortcomings in the Nave, it is a comfortable console with good visual and aural communication with the choir. Also plenty of useful stops for accompanying.

Comment

Chester Cathedral

Chester seems a little coy about putting its organ specification online. All I could find was this...

https://www.dwob.org/index.php/chester-cathedral/....

....and at the time that was posted there was obviously an organ appeal in progress.

Maybe someone can oblige?

Also I'd be grateful for hints about how to get information from the National Pipe Organ Register, whose home page I find mystifying!

Comment

Chester Cathedral

Chester seems a little coy about putting its organ specification online. All I could find was this...

https://www.dwob.org/index.php/chester-cathedral/....

....and at the time that was posted there was obviously an organ appeal in progress.

Maybe someone can oblige?

Also I'd be grateful for hints about how to get information from the National Pipe Organ Register, whose home page I find mystifying!
                            is it just me or did the organ sound a bit out of kilter today?

Comment

I didn't find it so. It wasn't used a lot! But when it was, mainly in Lenten mode. I was quite bowled over by the choir so didn't give the organ much attention apart from the 'before and after' music. I think the Parry postlude was the only occasion for showing its mettle, and even then, suitably subdued.

Comment

On https://www.npor.org.uk/ click on "Search by address". Type as much as seems useful in the "keywords" box (half way down), and then click on "Send". Typing in "Chester Cathedral" for the adress took me to a list with only one item. Click on the desried blue link and the select the desired instrument from the list gven, and you should end up here: https://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=E01969

Comment

Working...
                                X