Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daniel Hyde - Live from King's

Flagging this up rather late in the day, but did anyone listen to R3 yesterday evening (Wednesday) to the organ recital by Dan Hyde celebrating César Franck and the Ste-Clotilde tradition? A well-put-together programme including Chorals 1 & 3, along with music by Langlais, Duruflé, Bonnal, Boulay and J.Alain. Fine playing, as you'd expect, and the un-French organ made to sound more French than you'd expect!
    A bonus was Martin Handley compèring.
    Rj

Thanks for the heads-up Roger! I'll listen on catch-up when I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Judd View Post
      Flagging this up rather late in the day, but did anyone listen to R3 yesterday evening (Wednesday) to the organ recital by Dan Hyde celebrating César Franck and the Ste-Clotilde tradition? A well-put-together programme including Chorals 1 & 3, along with music by Langlais, Duruflé, Bonnal, Boulay and J.Alain. Fine playing, as you'd expect, and the un-French organ made to sound more French than you'd expect!
      A bonus was Martin Handley compèring.
      Rj

Just listened to the first half and enjoyed it very much, lovely performance of the only two Franck pieces I like (PF&V and Choral N° 1) and the Duruflé
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
        the only two Franck pieces I like (PF&V and Choral N° 1)
        I am intrigued to enquire what don't you like about, say, his Third Choral?

Choral N° 1 happens to be my favourite of the three, especially when begun on a multitude of 8ft stops (preferably on a large AC-C organ) drawn and coupled, though each one is so different that for the purpose of Desert Island Discs the 'Trios Chorals' should be requested.

https://youtu.be/a7CPprVi26o (Le 3ème played on the glorious original-specification AC-C in Saint-Sernin, Toulouse.)

Comment

Oh dear, Having been away for a short time, I looked for the DH recital on BBC Sounds and it said 'this episode is no longer available'. Can anyone help me find it or post up a link?

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            Oh dear, Having been away for a short time, I looked for the DH recital on BBC Sounds and it said 'this episode is no longer available'. Can anyone help me find it or post up a link?
            The resuscitated thread was actually started last year.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Silly me.

Comment

Working...
              X