X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roehre
    • Jun 2024

Carter in Glasgow.

Has anyone apart from me listened to H&N dedicated to Elliott Carter, the best part filled with recordings from Glasgow (broadcast August 30th)?

Dialogues II (2010) for piano and chamber orchestra
    Dialogues (2003) for piano and chamber orchestra
    Two Thoughts About the Piano: Intermittences (2005); Catenaires (2006)
    Epigrams for piano trio (2012)
    Tri-Tribute for piano: Matribute (2007); Fratribute (2008); Sistribute (2008)
    Two Controversies and a Conversation (2010/11) for piano, perc and chamber orch
    Variations for orchestra (1955)

All first class Carter: sparkling like dry chanpagne, but certainly with subcutaneous humour present.
    I am definitely impressed by the Epigrams for piano trio from 2012 (his last composition?), showing his creative compositional powers undiminished.

I also liked the 1955 Variations, in my ears a bit of Haydn-variations with a couple of "displaced" notes
    - and it was mentioned by Masson (the conductor of that piece) that there are connections between this work and the epigrams, though being composed nearly 60 years apart. After listening a couple of times to these works I only can confirm that observation.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-09-14, 14:04.
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

No but I surely shall - if you type "Here and Now Carter" into Google, or whatever advertising engine this beast uses, you get precisely nowhere......

Comment

• Blotto

"hear and now carter" does the trick.

You'll find yourself greeted by a gorgeous and pouting Tom Service.

Look now! Here he is!

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Awsum

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          Has anyone apart from me listened to H&N dedicated to Elliott Carter, the best part filled with recordings from Glasgow (broadcast August 30th)?
          Blimey! Thanks for the nudge, Roehre - I'd got the idea that this was next Saturday. Lor' bless yer kindly i-Player, guvna.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Yes, thanks R, because somehow I managed to miss this one too.

For lazy (or economical with their time) people like me:

Tom Service presents the BBC SSO performing music by Elliott Carter.

Comment

Working...
            X