Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gravity by Stuart MacRae

The BBC website describes Stuart MacRae as 'former BBC SSO Composer-in-Association and one of the most strikingly individual talents to emerge in British music in recent years'. The world premiere of his BBC commission Gravity opened Po3 last night (preceding Mahler, Ruckertlieder & Brahms, Symphony No.2).

Listen.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

More here.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      The BBC website describes Stuart MacRae as 'former BBC SSO Composer-in-Association and one of the most strikingly individual talents to emerge in British music in recent years'. The world premiere of his BBC commission Gravity opened Po3 last night (preceding Mahler, Ruckertlieder & Brahms, Symphony No.2).

Listen.
      I like the piece.
      Eerie, inventive instrumentation, IMO a nice counterpiece for Brahms 2, though I think it might be even a better one for Brahms' 2nd piano concerto.
      Looking forward to the other three commissions too (has anyone an idea who the other composers are who received a similar commission?)

Comment

The BBCSSO commissioned four companion pieces to Brahms's symphonies. Sally Beamish's partner for the Fourth was premiered last year, Detlev Glanert and Matthias Pintscher follow in 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
          The BBCSSO commissioned four companion pieces to Brahms's symphonies. Sally Beamish's partner for the Fourth was premiered last year, Detlev Glanert and Matthias Pintscher follow in 2012.
          Thanks curalach, much appreciated.
          For some reason I missed the Beamish premiere then.
          Looking forward to the Glanert and Pintscher pieces.

Comment

Working...
          X