New Music Show 11th Nov 23 Rapprochement.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Music Show 11th Nov 23 Rapprochement.

I personally found this episode very appealing....I haven't listened for a while and this group of works (a lot of young artist works) was just what I needed and within the sound-range I like best....I do not think it is particularly adventurous stuff but Piers Hallawells Rapprochment was a well put together piece aided by the Ulster Orchestra....I've listened to the programme 3 times while working....which is the way music gets played in my studio https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001s5k7
    bong ching

New music....traditional in nature at 1hr 09min Joseph Phibbs : cello Sonata.....then straight after Linda Catlin Smith : Wanderer
    bong ching

Comment

The only Piers Hellawell music I think I have heard is on this CD, which I must dig out and spin again:

Piers Hellawell: Inside Story. Metronome: METCD1059. Buy CD online. Clio Gould (violin), Philip Dukes (viola), Vanburgh Quartet BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Martyn Brabbins

Comment

Details and timings / offsets here, if anybody's interested.

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          New music....traditional in nature at 1hr 09min Joseph Phibbs : cello Sonata.....then straight after Linda Catlin Smith : Wanderer
          To me too much "new music" manages to imply that atonality can just be swept under the carpet of inconvenient memory. Chords "not having to resolve if they don't want to" in the great Charles Ives's famous view, were hard won against the powers of popes and dictators who used music as an emollient. Respectful of that revolt having widened the terrain of creative choice against Those Who Have Ordered Us About To Keep Us In Our Humble Place, I think that defining, definite, definitive ending in happiness ever after C major (or any other major) needs to be equally hard won to be deserving.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            defining, definite, definitive ending in happiness ever after C major (or any other major) needs to be equally hard won to be deserving.
            Well, I hope that I might have achieved something like that at the close of my string quintet but that's not really for me to say...

Comment

....You'd be better asking that in a different place....I did see a double decker bus with it's destination claiming to be Fuge....even that got resolved by stopping at various bus- stops (people got on , people got off)....but, did reach the terminus....well almost ( it was one of those 'turnarounds' at an industrial estate, or distant housing estate on a windy hill)....your problem ( if indeed it is a problem)Alistair, is that there are not 349 versions of your work, nor has anyone person bought 25 recording of it - so how could we possibly tell....your other problem is of course that you are still alive........as usual meant with glee (and not meant to hurt in any manner)....if you can think of a better critique (if indeed it can be seen as a critique) please post...

....I didn't quite understand what Serial was saying in the first place....
              bong ching

Comment

....I didn't quite understand what Serial was saying in the first place....
                Words, just a flotsam of words on the ebb and flow of meaninglessness... hey ho...

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Words, just a flotsam of words on the ebb and flow of meaninglessness... hey ho...
                  Froth....
                  bong ching

Comment

Froth....
                    Jack Froth

Comment

Working...
                    X