Chinese and Korean look and sound the same to Radio 3, it seems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Chinese and Korean look and sound the same to Radio 3, it seems!

"John Shea presents a programme of Chinese music by Qigang Chen, Unsuk Chin and Zhao Jiping with the Luxembourg Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Muhai Tang."

from http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06th28k

Difficult to believe they could be so crass, or is it?
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    "John Shea presents a programme of Chinese music by Qigang Chen, Unsuk Chin and Zhao Jiping with the Luxembourg Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Muhai Tang."
    from http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06th28k
    Difficult to believe they could be so crass, or is it?
    I hope, really I do, that the gaffe originates in whoever is asked to type up the website in a hurry, rather than from R3 itself.

I said "I hope" ...
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      I hope, really I do, that the gaffe originates in whoever is asked to type up the website in a hurry, rather than from R3 itself.

I said "I hope" ...
      I do feel fairly confident that JS's recorded presentation will not compound the error. Indeed, I rather expect him to make apologies on behalf of gaffe-maker.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Zucchini
        75% of music played is by Chinese composers
        Exactly the point, pumpkin. Glad to see that you are saddened by this potentially offensive blunder, too.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

75% of music played is by Chinese composers
          Closer to 65% actually, but that's not the point. Unsuk Chin is probably the best known in Europe of the three composers whose works are represented, and she was born in Seoul, though resident in Berlin for the second half of her life to date.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

I know that. Pecisely 75% actually - since 3 of 4 works are by Chinese composers, the headline iis hardly misleading or untruthful
            No, approximately 65%. Look at the timings.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I know that. Pecisely 75% actually - since 3 of 4 works are by Chinese composers, the headline iis hardly misleading or untruthful
              'a programme of Chinese music by Qigang Chen, Unsuk Chin and Zhao Jiping'? - that, in most people's book, means that Qigang Chen, Unsuk Chin and Zhao Jiping all compose Chinese music. Whereas, as we all know:

"Unsuk Chin does not regard her music as belonging to any specific culture. Chin names Béla Bartók, Igor Stravinsky, Claude Debussy, Anton Webern, Iannis Xenakis, and György Ligeti,among others, as 20th-century composers of special importance for her. Chin regards her working experience with Electronic music and her preoccupation with Balinese Gamelan as influential for her work. In her orchestral work Miroirs des temps Chin has also used compositional concepts of Medieval composers, such as Machaut and Ciconia, by employing and evolving techniques such as musical palindromes and crab canons."

Qigang Chen, on the other hand, is French and studied with Messiaen. Zhao studied in China.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• makropulos
                • Nov 2010

"Qigang Chen, on the other hand, is French and studied with Messiaen."

Yes indeed - a French citizen since the early 90s. I remember Yvonne Loriod telling me that Chen was one of Messiaen's favourite pupils among all those he taught over 50+ years.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Instead of all our chattering, why don't we ask Qigang Chen what nationality he perceives himself as, and supplement that question with one about what nationality he thinks his music is? Or isn't his view as important as our white European middle class sensibilities?

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

I was rather hoping that my post would help fulfil that function, Beefy, since I assume he would have approved the text I copy.

The original gaffe that prompted this thread was a confusion in the Western mind between Chinese and Korean. But in correcting that, we find ourselves absorbing into a totally European identity a composer who doesn't seem to think of himself in that way.

Truly, the ways of political correctness are strange.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by jean View Post
                      I was rather hoping that my post would help fulfil that function, Beefy, since I assume he would have approved the text.
                      Indeed, but I felt the need to put it more directly.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

I was rather hoping that my post would help fulfil that function, Beefy, since I assume he would have approved the text I copy.

The original gaffe that prompted this thread was a confusion in the Western mind between Chinese and Korean. But in correcting that, we find ourselves absorbing into a totally European identity a composer who doesn't seem to think of himself in that way.

Truly, the ways of political correctness are strange.
                        But Bryn's point concerning Unsuk Chin is spot on, whichever way we look at it (well at least when looking at her nationality and the music she composes!).

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          I do feel fairly confident that JS's recorded presentation will not compound the error...
                          His introduction refers to all the Christmas music we've been hearing on TTN, and goes on to speculate that listeners may be asking themselves Yes but where can I celebrate the Chinese New Year in a concert recorded in Luxembourg?

Will that do?

Probably not, as the Chinese New Year isn't until February.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

His introduction refers to all the Christmas music we've been hearing on TTN, and goes on to speculate that listeners may be asking themselves Yes but where can I celebrate the Chinese New Year in a concert recorded in Luxembourg?

Will that do?

Probably not, as the Chinese New Year isn't until February.
                            It was even later in February last year. Do we know which year the Luxembourg concert was recorded? I was in the land of nod during last night's broadcast, but will catch up via the iPlayer.

I have now checked with the iPlayer. JS made a point of stressing the word "Korean" when introducing Unsuk Chin's work, and referred to Qigang Chen's French citizenship. He also mentioned that the concert was given during the Chinese New Year of 2015.
                            Last edited by Bryn; 07-01-16, 12:51. Reason: Update

Comment

Working...
                            X