Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebecca Saunders & Helmut Lachenmann; H&N; Sat, 23/9/17; 10:00pm

Two of my own favourite composers feature in a tripartite programme this week.

As part of the Birmingham Contemporary Music Group's 30th Anniversary celebrations, Tom Service presents a broadcast of works given in a concert given last month. Rebecca Saunders(b 1967)'s Into the Blue and Helmut Lachenmann(b 1935)'s Zwei Gefühle - Musik mit Leonardo follow Sinuous Voices by Czech-born Ondřej Adámek (b 1979) - whose work I don't think I've ever heard before. (Plenty available on youTube for me to investigate further.)

As part of celebrations of the fortiethcoming* Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival (yay!), Robert Worby in conversation with Andrew Kurowski introduces a recording from the 2008 Festival of Claudia Molitor (b1974)'s Paper Cut performed by Apartment House, and Saunders' Fletch, played by the Arditti Quartet.

And as part of the new "What's Your Favourite Spoon?" feature, Lee Gamble talks about aural hallucinations. Personally, I'd've preferred to hear a complete work (or two, or three, ... ) of his - but presumably the idea is to get listeners sufficiently intrigued by what we hear that they turn off Radio 3 and search youTube to discover a Musical experience they wouldn't otherwise have encountered, so .... yay!

Tom Service presents the 30th anniversary concert of Birmingham Contemporary Music Group.

* - the Festival was founded in 1978; the H&N site is misleading in suggesting that this year sees its fortieth "anniversary" - it will be the fortieth Festival in November.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Tom Service on best form introducing this. Amusing to hear when he handed over to the Andrew Kurowski/Robert Worby discussion that the latter wasn't sure when Graham McKenzie started as Artistic Director of the Huddersfield Festival - and had to be told by AK that it was 2006. The Director the year before, of course, was ... Tom Service.
    Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 24-09-17, 07:09.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      and had to be told by AK that it was 2016.
      But it wasn't!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
        But it wasn't!
        DARRRGGHHHH!!!

(Duly corrected - my carelessness, not Mr Kurowski's )

Comment

Working...
        X