• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

HCMF 40, part 4; Sat 16th Dec; 10:00pm

The final programme of selected highlights from this year's fortieth Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival focuses on works presented in three different concerts.

Austrian Ensemble PHACE, conducted by Lars Miekusch perform the UK premiere of Bernhard Lang(b1957)'s Loops for Al Jourgensen, the 24th in his ongoing D/W (Differenz/Wiederholung = "Difference/Repetition") series of compositions. Based on the ideas of Gilles Deleuze, the works explore combinations of materials which repeat, or develop, or both to varying extents. I didn't get to this concert (Bates' Motel) but would have liked to - the series has produced a variable quality of work, but which, at its best, I find has an irresistible dynamism. Also performed at the same concert was the World Premiere of FFF, a 30-minute multi-media work for chamber ensemble, voice, film, and electronics by Macclesfield-based (and it's not often I get to write that!) composer/performer Laura Bowler (b1986).

I did get to - and have expressed my enthusiasm for - the concert given by the rather splendid young ensemble Explore, and Enno Poppe's Geloschte Lieder from that concert was broadcast in last week's H&N. This week we have Fausto Romitelli(1963-2004)'s La Sabbia del Tempo ("The Sands of Time" from 1991) and the UK premiere of Steven Daverson(b1985)'s Elusive|Tangeability II: Firelife, both of which moved and impressed me far more than did the Poppe piece. But it would be bitterly ironic, given that there was a significant afternoon's discussion on "Why is gender still an issue in Music?", if the only work from that concert by a female composer (Patricia Alessandrini(b1970)'s Tracer la lune d'un doight) were the only piece not to be broadcast! I hope/trust that the recording of the performance is being kept for a future edition of H&N.

And some more improvisation from Polwechsel, with Saxophonist John Butcher and Organist Klaus Lang (no relation to Bernhard) complete the programme, presented by Robert Worby and Sara Mohr-Pietsche.

(But there might be a snippet from the Schools project, Music for Young Players presented in the Town Hall that I attended, too. )
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Bernhard Lang(b1957)'s Loops for Al Jourgensen, the 24th in his ongoing D/W (Differenz/Wiederholung = "Difference/Repetition") series of compositions. Based on the ideas of Gilles Deleuze, the works explore combinations of materials which repeat, or develop, or both to varying extents. I didn't get to this concert (Bates' Motel) but would have liked to - the series has produced a variable quality of work, but which, at its best, I find has an irresistible dynamism.
    Oh dear. DW2 is still one of the most impressive works that I know - but the recent works in the DW series have been feeble indeed, and I didn't think that DW24 showed any return to form. Very sad.

I did get to - and have expressed my enthusiasm for - the concert given by the rather splendid young ensemble Explore, and Enno Poppe's Geloschte Lieder from that concert was broadcast in last week's H&N. This week we have Fausto Romitelli(1963-2004)'s La Sabbia del Tempo ("The Sands of Time" from 1991) and the UK premiere of Steven Daverson(b1985)'s Elusive|Tangeability II: Firelife, both of which moved and impressed me far more than did the Poppe piece. But it would be bitterly ironic, given that there was a significant afternoon's discussion on "Why is gender still an issue in Music?", if the only work from that concert by a female composer (Patricia Alessandrini(b1970)'s Tracer la lune d'un doight) were the only piece not to be broadcast! I hope/trust that the recording of the performance is being kept for a future edition of H&N.
    Well - thanks, no doubt, to this stern ticking off, the Alessandrini work is going to be broadcast - on the last programme of the year.

(But there might be a snippet from the Schools project, Music for Young Players presented in the Town Hall that I attended, too. )
    - this was a terrific "bonus", giving insight into the work behind the rather wonderful Town Hall concert. (I loved the "Did you find the work difficult?" "No." Kids!)

Comment

• Quarky
      • Dec 2010

.....Another bonus. BCMG at Wilton Music Hall, proms repeat last night. Jolly good stuff.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Vespare View Post
        .....Another bonus. BCMG at Wilton Music Hall, proms repeat last night. Jolly good stuff.
        - with a remarkably good performance of Rebecca Saunders' Molly's Song III, too!

Comment

Working...
        X