Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laura Bowler - Antarctica; H&N, Sat 2/3/19; 10:00pm

Recent editions of Hear & Now have featured a travel diary from Laura Bowler (b1986), recounting details of her recent trip to Antarctica in preparation for her new composition. Tonight's programme includes a complete performance of the work which she describes as "an immersive commentary on the effects of climate change".

Laura Bowler: Antarctica (BBC Radio 3 and Manchester Camerata Commission)
    Laura Bowler (Voice)
    Sam Redway, Danielle Henry, and Ryan Pace (Actors)
    Manchester Camerata, conducted by Jessica Cottis

Completing the programme, other works that are concerned with environmental issues:

Mason Bates (b1977): Liquid Interface; San Francisco Symphony / Michael Tilson Thomas

Brett Dean (b1961): Fire Music; BBCSO / Sakari Oramo

... and an excerpt from

John Luther Adams (b1953): Ilimaq; Glenn Kotche (percussion), the composer (electronics)

Manchester Camerata explores climate change in Laura Bowler's new work.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Well, that was all rather derivative - Bowler's work owing everything to Lang's Differenz / Wiederholung 2; Bates; sounding like he'd gone through Lutoslawski's waste bins, and stuck together the bits he'd found. It comes to something when Dean and Adams produced the most "individual" works.

Greatly disappointing, I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Well, that was all rather derivative - Bowler's work owing everything to Lang's Differenz / Wiederholung 2...
      All tip, no iceberg then? I suddenly feel less guilty about watching Terminator 5: Genisys with the self-promise of an H&N iPlayer catch up.

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      ...Bates; sounding like he'd gone through Lutoslawski's waste bins, and stuck together the bits he'd found. It comes to something when Dean and Adams produced the most "individual" works.
      These days, any recycling credentials will at least reduce a composer's musical footprint.

Comment

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
        All tip, no iceberg then? I suddenly feel less guilty about watching Terminator 5: Genisys with the self-promise of an H&N iPlayer catch up.
        These days, any recycling credentials will at least reduce a composer's musical footprint.

Comment

Working...
        X