Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    But even the most popular shows are minority interest.
    Yes, tell people that most of their licence fee goes on programmes they don't watch or listen to. (As those who profess never to access BBC programmes know very well).

The BBC needs to fight the ( Its) corner for niche programming.
    Undoubtedly - but they seem to be pushing at an unyielding door. There are also those hidden responsibilties (some mentioned on the p. 9 you linked to) which the BBC are always being charged with, such as driving up digital radio listening (specifically DAB at that time), which resulted in a number of new digital-only radio stations - though not one for R3-type content. Plus the freezing of the licence fee while inflation continued.

Doesn't the over-75s change just mean that the BBC will no longer get the £725m from the government in respect of these 'free' licences? Plus they now have to fund the World Service. I don't see how that can mean anything except cuts, somewhere. Where the cuts fall in terms of the individual services is a matter for the executive. Where the station controllers make their own cuts is up to them.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Yes, tell people that most of their licence fee goes on programmes they don't watch or listen to. (As those who profess never to access BBC programmes know very well).

Undoubtedly - but they seem to be pushing at an unyielding door. There are also those hidden responsibilties (some mentioned on the p. 9 you linked to) which the BBC are always being charged with, such as driving up digital radio listening (specifically DAB at that time), which resulted in a number of new digital-only radio stations - though not one for R3-type content. Plus the freezing of the licence fee while inflation continued.

Doesn't the over-75s change just mean that the BBC will no longer get the £725m from the government in respect of these 'free' licences? Plus they now have to fund the World Service. I don't see how that can mean anything except cuts, somewhere. Where the cuts fall in terms of the individual services is a matter for the executive. Where the station controllers make their own cuts is up to them.
      Reduction in the net level of the licence fee ( total income less the net cost of over 75's and World Service) may well result in cuts. But there are at least two important factors to take into account

1. Total licence fee income has been rising, as the number of licence fee payers has continued to increase. ( It looks as though overseas income has started to fall recently).

2. Cuts don't automatically have to mean cuts in programming. There are always choices in how budgets are drawn up, and tough budgets can sometimes creative responses .EG, co- broadcast Late Junction on 6 Music and R3. Not a great solution some might say, but who knows, it might work and also save money.

( I'm not arguing for a cut in budget necessarily , just how changes can be seen, and dealt with ).
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

tough budgets can sometimes creative responses .EG, co- broadcast Late Junction on 6 Music and R3.
        Perfectly feasible idea. After all, it was only two or three (?) years ago that Radio 2 shared Friday Night is Music Night with Radio 3 one evening as 'our' live concert. Lulu went down a treat, as I remember.

Incidentally, I understand Radio 3's guide price for the new 2-hour Late Junction is about 30% higher than for the recommissioned 3-hour Sunday Morning. But some things just are more expensive than others if they are to be done properly. Outside Radio 3 the BBC doesn't seem to recognise this.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
        X