No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pick & Mix - it's a piece of Kayak; NMS, Sat 18th January, 2020, 10:00pm

Tom Service presents:

Xenia Pestova Bennett(b1979): Actinium; the Composer (magnetic resonator piano)
    Tansy Davies(b1973): The rule is love (WP); Elaine Mitchener (voice)/London Sinfonietta/Richard Baker
    Francis Dhomont(b1926sic): En cuerdas
    Georg Friedrich Haas(b1953): Trombone Concerto; Mike Svoboda/SWR Symphony Orchestra/Alejo Pérez
    Marcos Balter(b1974): ECHO (from Pan); Claire Chase (flute)
    Tansy Davies: Soul Canoe; Red Note Ensemble
    Pauchi Sasaki(b1982): Gama XV; Claire Chase (bass flute) & the Composer (violin)
    Clemens von Reusner(b1957): Anamorphosis

Plus Robert Worby in conversation with composer Georg Friedrich Haas.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

A piece by 93-year old Francis Dhomont from 1998, which appears to be for piano and orchestra! - I had read that he only composed acousmatic music. From the little I have heard of his music, he is a terrific composer, clearly in the French post-Debussy tradition that includes such figures as Dutilleux. Very much looking forward to this; also works by Tansy Davies, wow!

Aha - Canoe/Kayak. Just got the connection there!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      A piece by 93-year old Francis Dhomont from 1998, which appears to be for piano and orchestra! - I had read that he only composed acousmatic music. From the little I have heard of his music, he is a terrific composer, clearly in the French post-Debussy tradition that includes such figures as Dutilleux. Very much looking forward to this; also works by Tansy Davies, wow!
      Spoiler alert... not much evidence of piano or orchestra on the YouTube upload! A fair number of sampled instruments, especially guitar.
      Have not warmed to Dhomont as much as François Bayle (Paris based and 6 years younger) who got a fair few outings on Music In Our Time back in the 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
        Spoiler alert... not much evidence of piano or orchestra on the YouTube upload! A fair number of sampled instruments, especially guitar.
        Have not warmed to Dhomont as much as François Bayle (Paris based and 6 years younger) who got a fair few outings on Music In Our Time back in the 80s.

I've loved all those French guys associated with the musique concrète aesthetic ever since acquiring the big Philips Panorama Electronique box set of LPs in the silver cover back in the early 1970s.

Comment

I've loved all those French guys associated with the musique concrète aesthetic ever since acquiring the big Philips Panorama Electronique box set of LPs in the silver cover back in the early 1970s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            That one! (I Still have it - hardly any surface noise owing to my fastidious care régime!)

Comment

That one! (I Still have it - hardly any surface noise owing to my fastidious care régime!)
              I did not get the original LPs, just the FLACs from https://archive.org/details/agp13

and https://archive.org/details/agp14 , of course.
              Last edited by Bryn; 19-01-20, 00:46.

Comment

Working...
              X