New Music Show: Louis Andriessen May (07.08.21)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Music Show: Louis Andriessen May (07.08.21)

Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century
    Cappella Amsterdam
    Conductor: Daniel Reuss

Tom Service introduced a recording of Andriessen’s farewell to composition and IN MEMORIAM to his friend, Franz Brüggen: MAY for Recirder , Period Orchestra and Choir. The work was written when Louis knew he was on the path to oblivion as he was suffering from Alzheimer’s Disease. This evening’s broadcast was of its first performance in an empty Concertgebouw concert hall. The piece starts with a virtuosic flourish from the solo recorder which is cut-off in mid flight - the soloist never returns. The choir’s contributions are euphonious and lyrical whereas the orchestra contributes a more jagged and driven rhetoric full of Andriessen’s well-known fingerprints.

I found the 20 minute work to be very moving and, given the circumstances of its composition, well rounded &structured.

I was surprised that nobody had started a thread on this broadcast but it’s not too late to catch up on BBC Sounds. Andriessen became the focus for the Hague group of composers and he was a European Master. He went out in his own style
    Last edited by edashtav; 08-08-21, 02:24.

Bit more here https://www.boosey.com/cr/news/Louis...01677&LangID=1
    A family member mentioned working on an Andriessen piece with the 18th C Orchestra so this must have been it - I didn't ask more at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      Bit more here https://:ok:www.:ok:.com/cr/news/Lou...01677&LangID=1
      A family member mentioned working on an Andriessen piece with the 18th C Orchestra so this must have been it - I didn't ask more at the time.

Comment

Let's not forget the final item on last night's 'show', erstwhile member Duncan Chapman's Edale Interlude.

Comment

Working...
        X