Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hear & Now Fifty

"From Saturday 17 September, BBC Radio 3's flagship contemporary music programme Hear And Now begins a year-long series of features about landmark works from the late 20th century.

Hear And Now Fifty brings together works by 50 composers over the period 1950-1999, nominated by 50 figures from the worlds of new music and the arts."

"These features will be made available as a collectable new podcast through the Radio 3 website.

Those sharing their passion for a particular work include the artist Tacita Dean, novelist Mark Haddon, filmmaker Sophie Fiennes, theatre director Katie Mitchell, choreographer Siobhan Davies, composers Sir Harrison Birtwistle and Howard Skempton, jazz pianist Ethan Iverson, and electronic producers Matthew Herbert and Tyondai Braxton."
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Yes, thank you french frank, I am going to listen to this series.

Comment

Comment

It's a compilation / list show, isn't it? A 'Greatest Hits'? I'm hoping it will be a programme largely of music and not another personality slot. I'll wait to see what it's like.

Comment

Originally posted by hackneyvi View Post
            It's a compilation / list show, isn't it? A 'Greatest Hits'? I'm hoping it will be a programme largely of music and not another personality slot. I'll wait to see what it's like.
            Yes, I wasn't quite sure of the musical credentials of all the the people choosing the pieces, but the proof of the pudding &c &c.

The interesting thing is that here we have a podcast of classical pieces - something which the Trust (in line with Ofcom) were ruling out totally in January 2007. It was suggested to them that contemporary pieces would be an area where downloads would be appropriate: no strong commercial market to be considered, and music which was crying out for a wider audience.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

More details about this on the Radio 3 blog.

Comment

Well, I'm not too impressed by their choice of recording to represent Reich's Different Trains. Seems a tad lazy to go for the old Kronos effort. There have been several more musically engaging recordings since then, including those by the Quatuor Bolzzini and by the Smith Quartet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Well, I'm not too impressed by their choice of recording to represent Reich's Different Trains. Seems a tad lazy to go for the old Kronos effort. There have been several more musically engaging recordings since then, including those by the Quatuor Bolzzini and by the Smith Quartet.
                  Well we are not too impressed by their choice of Reich in the first place!

Comment

'Reich' and 'Musically engaging' do not sit easily in the same statement!

Comment

Well, I'm not too impressed by their choice of recording to represent Reich's Different Trains..
                      I have to agree. Was enjoying the Cheltenham festival on H& N last night, but Steve Reich seemd out of place in the programme, in particular the obligatory long-winded explanation of the concept underlying the work.

Comment

Working...
                      X