No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Javier Alvarez 1956-2023

I just posted this elsewhere, I thought it ought to be here too:

Too often of late I've been looking at Facebook and seeing a photo of a friend or colleague and thinking to myself heavens, I haven't seen them for such a long time, I wonder how they're doing, only to find that it's an announcement that they've died. Javier composed some of the most attractive and individual work for instruments and electronics at a time when such things were a lot less easy to do than is the case now. I would say that almost anyone involved in that medium owes something to his example, directly or indirectly, and that certainly includes myself. Apart from that he was a warm and generous spirit who has no doubt been inspiring and energising countless people in the many years since he and I both lived in London, where I had the privilege of working with him when my own involvement in electroacoustic music was just beginning. Farewell Javier and be sure that the music will live on.
    His CD Papalotl is available on Qobuz, it's well worth repeated listening.

Javier Alvarez (1956-2023) RIP

I heard with sadness on a recent New Music Show that the great Mexican composer Javier Alvarez had passed away at just 67. He spent a couple of decades studying and teaching in England before returning to Mexico, and was a founder of the Sonic Arts Network, served with the SPNM. He might be the most important Mexican composer of the 1950s generation.

He wrote mainly high art electronic music back then (before returning to more conventional instruments) and was able to seamlessly alchemize it with diverse instrumental media, often using idioms from around the world, such as in Mannam (1992) for Korean zither and electronics. This helped make it both accessible and fascinating. I believe he won Austria's prestigious Prix Ars Electronica award multiple times.

What has become his most popular piece, understandably is Temazcal for maracas and electronics, heard on the New Music Show.

Comment

Threads now merged.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Papalotl playing now via youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
          Papalotl playing now via youtube.
          I can't recall having heard anything of his music, so thanks to all.

Comment

The audio extract from Ales Canticum on his web site's home page sounds really interesting too. Certainly recognisable as having his unique stamp.

Comment

Dear all, I'm very glad to come across your thoughtful words regarding the life and work of my father Javier. He is a true inspiration to all of us inside and outside the music world. Be assured our family will take good care of his legacy, and through this period of transition we will do our best to keep in touch with the communities he engaged with during his life. Please feel free to contact me in relation to his work or other matters, etc. Bests, Tobías.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias Álvarez View Post
                Dear all, I'm very glad to come across your thoughtful words regarding the life and work of my father Javier. He is a true inspiration to all of us inside and outside the music world. Be assured our family will take good care of his legacy, and through this period of transition we will do our best to keep in touch with the communities he engaged with during his life. Please feel free to contact me in relation to his work or other matters, etc. Bests, Tobías.
                Thank you Tobias for taking the trouble to contribute here, and my condolences to you and the rest of Javier's family.

Comment

Working...
                X