• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hackneyvi
    • Jun 2024

Unheard of!! - new music recommendations

I'd like to start with Ole-Henrik Moe.

I've finally bought an album of his solo violin pieces, Ciaccona / 3 Persephone perceptions - http://www.runegrammofon.com/artists...nrik-moe-ciac/

Somebody's made pictures on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QPlACFgHaQ This is the first of the 3 Pp's.

Hearing the disc, I now realise that the music is not interrupted on the video. The intrusions of environmental noise are silences on the CD. On Spotify, they can be found by searching '3 Persephone'; the first finishes at 10' 06"; like Olga Neuwirth's music, this is so dry it makes my mouth water.

Anyone else like to recommend something the rest of us mae knot noe?
  • Paul Sherratt

Phil,

I've just been enjoying Darondo. Ace are reissuing his album shortly - I doubt it will surface on R3 but Good Gideon Coe took up
    the tip pretty sharpish and played some to his 6 Music listeners this week.

Comment

• hackneyvi

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
      Phil,

I've just been enjoying Darondo. Ace are reissuing his album shortly - I doubt it will surface on R3 but Good Gideon Coe took up
      the tip pretty sharpish and played some to his 6 Music listeners this week.
      Thank the Lord for Spotify and messageboards, Paul!

I'm playing Get up off your butt as I type.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Well I hope you enjoyed the album a little. I might even buy it !
        Now talking of Gideon Coe, here's his dad with some mates
        hOMMAGE A ERIK SATIEEXTRACT DUNOIS PARIS 15/12/1983http://www.dunoisjazz.info/ (tresor)

And I'd like more folk to hear of Ronnie
        Here's an awesome video of a unique guitar player. I love the way that he has his guitar setup, whether it's intentional or not, he has the ...

Wouldn't you ?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Paul: I really enjoyed the Darondo: way out of my usual pleasure domes and something my snotty younger self wouldn't've dreamt of listening to (ah, the malign influence of Punk)! MANY thanks; I'm rather chuffed with the idea of becoming a Soul Brother in my fifties.

Originally posted by hackneyvi View Post
          I'd like to start with Ole-Henrik Moe.

Anyone else like to recommend something the rest of us mae knot noe?
          Thanks also for the Moe, too, Phil: I missed the Arditti concert of his trilogy for String Quintet given at last year's HCMF (where the composer was indisposed and Graeme Jennings - who just happened to be around for another event - stepped in and practically sight-read the part in the concert). Lovely, ghostly sonorities here: fragile and furious by turns: I shall definitely hunt out this album.

Do you know the work of Pierluigi BILLONE? Well worth seeking out: there's a KAIROS CD (0012602KAI) of his searing Bass Clarinet duo "1 + 1 = 1" and (slightly less successful IMHO) a Stradivarius CD of Me A An and the Viola solo Iti Ke Mi both of which have provided me with hours of fascinating and captivating listening.

Best Wishes.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• hackneyvi

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Do you know the work of Pierluigi BILLONE? Well worth seeking out: there's a KAIROS CD (0012602KAI) of his searing Bass Clarinet duo "1 + 1 = 1" and (slightly less successful IMHO) a Stradivarius CD of Me A An and the Viola solo Iti Ke Mi both of which have provided me with hours of fascinating and captivating listening.

Best Wishes.
            Thanks, fg. I'm off work this week and I'll give Billone a listen; the last 2 works you list are available on Spotify (by gum, it's good!).

A word of warning to a degree; having listened to the whole of Moe's 3 Persephone perceptions, I do think that first is impressive. The 2nd is long (26") and repetitive where the 1st seems extraordinarily diverse and effective. I did find all sorts of music leapt out to me in the first few minutes of the second but I can't justify its length to any other listener. Nevertheless, if someone 'gets' it, I'd be glad to be redirected and will listen again.

To any interested listener, the three pieces run directly into one another although there are clear junctures; they run 10' 06" - 23' 08" - 6' 23".

Comment

Working...
            X