Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest from the FT

There was an article in the FT yesterday, continuing the press coverage of Radio 3's 'worst ever Proms season' listening figures. Considering that the journalist was all at sea dealing with the subject ("Do you think you could just talk me through ..?") he picked up on some valuable points. As well as giving FoR3 a mention and some quotes, he also got a couple of good comments from Richard Steinetz, a former artistic director of HCMF, and a word from the editor of Classical Music, which made our stance not seem isolated.

What I liked: He quoted Helen Boaden (Director of Radio) as saying that R3 was "incredibly different" from CFM ... :-) Yes, quite incredible.

He mentioned criticism of "trivialising chat" and for overplaying lighter composers from Johann Strauss II to George Gershwin (NB 'overplaying' the key word)

The quote: “It’s been going downhill rather a long time,” said Richard Steinitz, former artistic director of the Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival. “The highly repetitive programming and narrowing of repertoire is a great shame.”

The quote: 'One in six of Radio 3’s pieces is longer than 15 minutes, the station says, compared with fewer than one in 30 of Classic FM’s.' One in six? So five in six are less than 15 minutes long? How much less?

Thanks for including my quote that the new controller 'would have the chance to "reappraise what a cultural network should be doing" '. Correct: that's what I said and would stick by.

Cf: “My message would be . . . do reveal things that we don’t know. That was very much Lord Reith’s remit,” said Mr Steinitz.

Finally, the writer said that the new controller could take some comfort from the fact that Radio 3 had long been criticised for 'excessive populism':

'One of his predecessors, Stephen Hearst, bickered with academics in the early 1970s who resisted his attempts to cut down the hour and a half per day spent by erudite announcers making musicological introductions. And when he launched Your Concert Choice, with pieces of classical music chosen by listeners, senior BBC figures branded it a "populist disgrace" '. There's something about that last bit that reminds me of one of Bob Monkhouse's jokes: "They laughed when I said I wanted to be a comedian: well, they're not laughing now." O tempora, o mores!
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Mmmm....I came away thinking that the new Controller is going to have his work cut out, if he wants to 'wise-up' Radio 3, simply because the Director of Radio - Helen Boaden - hasn't got the guts to admit she was wrong to support Wrecker Wright.

Comment

Originally posted by Risorgimento View Post
      Mmmm....I came away thinking that the new Controller is going to have his work cut out, if he wants to 'wise-up' Radio 3, simply because the Director of Radio - Helen Boaden - hasn't got the guts to admit she was wrong to support Wrecker Wright.
      In all fairness, Helen Boaden is quite new to the job herself. That said, I'm not impressed. The new controller is going to have his work cut out. If I had a message it would be that Radio 3 needs a champion, not high-ups within the BBC that kick it around in search of ratings - not Radio 3's rating, but ratings on Radio 2 which artfully jettisoned the 'classical' programmes (like Your 100 Best Tunes) which introduced many people to something other than pop music - and now is praised to the skies for being 'the Nation's Favourite' with 13-15m listeners pw and no 'gerry' music to pull its ratings down; and BBC Two which no longer carries full Proms concerts (even of the lighter kind) because they don't make the BARB Top 30. And the BBC turns Radio 3's miserable Proms quarter into a 'Look, look! Radio 6 Music is SUCH a success - it's even overtaken Radio 3 which is on FM!!!' story.

And Radio 3 which has no option but to use a large chunk of its budget supporting the BBC Performing Groups and the Proms (both expensive, by the hour, programming) is allowed the same service budget as Radio 1 - and has only just recovered from getting less than Radio 1 in the previous service licence issue.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Isn't it a Labour MP who is arguing that Radio 3 should vacate it's FM slot and give it over to Radio 6 ? All based on ratings, of course. And ignoring your very valid point re funding of orchestras etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Risorgimento View Post
          Isn't it a Labour MP who is arguing that Radio 3 should vacate it's FM slot and give it over to Radio 6 ? All based on ratings, of course. And ignoring your very valid point re funding of orchestras etc.
          Yes, that was:

TOM WATSON MP for West Bromwich East

who said that as there were so few of us we could be given free digital radios and training in how to press the buttons.

Given that in a very bad quarter, Radio 3 got 1.912m listeners and in a very good one 6 Music got 1.994m that's not that many more. I wrote him a reproving letter for his very disrespectful comment which suggested we would need help to manage a digital radio but he has not responded (I also said it was lovely that he was discovering all the old songs from the past, like the Kinks' Waterloo Sunset and the Beatles' Blackbird (both on, with lots of others that week).

Since he only wants to be able to listen to 6 Music in his car, I would have thought on his salary he could have afforded a DAB car radio - now readily available.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Since he only wants to be able to listen to 6 Music in his car, I would have thought on his salary he could have afforded a DAB car radio - now readily available.
            Couldn't he claim it on expenses?

Comment

Working...
            X