Christmas on the BBC - Radio to be Privatised?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas on the BBC - Radio to be Privatised?

The BBC let slip today that it wishes to "sell off" BBC Radio so that the BBC will become a Television-only service.

Evidence - today's BBC Media launch of "Christmas on the BBC" which has no mention at all of Radio.

Phew! That was a close one, but all is not lost.

BBC Radio 3 presents a feast of classical music programming, including the culmination of its Christmas Carol competition, interviews with guests including pianist Alfred Brendel and fashion designer Dame Vivienne Westwood, an In Tune Christmas Special featuring BBC Young Musician winner Martin James Bartlett and The Sixteen, and a week of live concerts from the Temple Winter Festival.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Well, the clue might just be - could be wrong of course - in that it was launched by - ahem - Danny Cohen, the BBC Director of Television about Christmas Television.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
        Evidence - today's BBC Media launch of "Christmas on the BBC" which has no mention at all of Radio.
        I can see no mention of the Queen's speech to the Commonwealth. Is it the supreme executive or the commonwealth that the BBC will have extirpated by Christmas?
        Or have I not applied enough attention, reeling from this bombshell: "On New Year’s Day, The Archbishop of Canterbury’s New Year Message will be given by Justin Welby."

Comment

A close shave - but it looks as if Radios 2, 3 and 4 will be all right, at least until after Christmas.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Despina dello Stagno View Post
            I can see no mention of the Queen's speech to the Commonwealth.
            Lets hope its gone the way of the dreadful "sea songs" :wink eye:
            I'm sure she would rather be out walking her dogs anyway

Comment

Well, looking at this mess, you do wonder whether somebody else might do a better job:

Seeing as we've flogged everything else to non-UK plc, maybe one of the continental broadcasters would be interested. In fact, maybe bidding should be limited to them.

Comment

Swingin’ Christmas,

Is there ANYTHING in music more obnoxious than "Jazzy" Christmas music?

Makes Skrewdriver sound like Cliff Richard IMV

The Verb at Christmas
                What would yours be?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

What would yours be?
                  Charlie Parker - White Christmas (1948) Charlie Parker (as) Kenny Dorham (tp) Al Haig (p) Tommy Potter (b) Max Roach (ds)Composed by Irving Berlin, recorded ...

Comment

Makes Skrewdriver sound like Cliff Richard IMV

What would yours be?
                    Well now, Sir Cliff, there's someone who will be unlikely to appear on the BBC this Christmas!!

But Jazzy is what brings the new listeners in - isn't it? I think the King's Carols broadcast this year should have a Big Band behind it instead of that dreary old organ. O Brave New World that has such music in it....

Comment

Anything by R Strauss, everything by E Elgar

Comment

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                        Anything by R Strauss, everything by E Elgar
                        I was trying to work out whether I disliked "Jazz" Christmas music more than DoG?
                        It's very close

Comment

Almost every 'Christmas' record every made, starting with Bing Crosby (no longer relevant, anyway, given global warning. )

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                            Well, the clue might just be - could be wrong of course - in that it was launched by - ahem - Danny Cohen, the BBC Director of Television about Christmas Television.
                            Virtual handbags flailing... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...riticised.html

"...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              I like this bit

"... he appealed to the corporation's critics to stop pointing out its failings and be a "little less of the critical friend". The uncritical friend? Is that all right? Badly expressed, perhaps.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X