X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Campbell
    • Nov 2010

The Bad Plus Rite

Although I listen to both jazz and "classical" music, I have never been over keen on attempts to fuse the two. Jazz influenced classical music doesn't really appeal to me, and classical pieces turned into jazz - Bach etc (and even Uri Caine's Mahler for that matter) are a complete turn off.

However... I am completely blown away by The Bad Plus' new disc of the Rite of Spring. Within the usual trio format, plus light use of electronics, they have created a piece that sounds to me remarkably true to the original, at least in terms of energy and shock value, whilst still being, er, jazz. It's a really interesting listen and I'm sure it would go down well live.

Has anyone else heard it?
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

not yet, Mr Paul Campbell, not yet! but i i am now listening to it:

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Paul Campbell
      • Nov 2010

Does make for a rather short cd though. I thought they had given us a jazzy 4'33'' at first.

Comment

• Tom Audustus

Originally posted by Paul Campbell View Post
        ... I thought they had given us a jazzy 4'33'' at first.
        Even I can play over the changes for that !!!
        Last edited by Guest; 27-03-14, 10:50.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Interesting as a demonstration of what is possible, I suppose; but for any artistic merit beyond that, nul points, I'm afraid

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Interesting as a demonstration of what is possible, I suppose; but for any artistic merit beyond that, nul points, I'm afraid
            I found it lacking in imagination: it just sounded like an arrangement of Stravinsky's own Piano Duet version with Bass added (and a few vocals) to fill in the missing second pianist, and a basic drum part. Very little of the Musicians' own ideas (hardly surprising, given the sheer feat of imagination that is The Rite) - more a sort of vanity project, the trio wanting (again, understandably enough) to play this astonishing Music, but not giving me anything that isn't already in Stravinsky's originals, and omiting so much.

I found Uri Craine's Mahler much more fun.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Paul Campbell
              • Nov 2010

Thanks for the comments re the Piano Duet version, Ferney; I don't think I have ever heard it and will seek it out with interest. I think what impressed me about the Bad Plus version is that they seem to me to have captured something of the spirit of the original work and transferred that to a jazz piano trio format. I like it

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

There are a couple of recordings of the 2 piano version on youTube, Paul - one a rather sedate performance by Ashkenazy and Gavrilov, and this by Lennie and Michael Tilson Thomas:

Stravinsky The Rite of Spring - Bernstein and Tilson Thomas, piano four hands (Live 1981, Alice Tully Hall)
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                X