DISC
    Artist Charlie Parker
    Title Laird Baird
    Composer Parker
    Album Confirmation: Best of the Verve Years
    Label Verve
    Number Track 3
    Duration 2.48
    Performers: Charlie Parker, as; Hank Jones, p; Teddy Kotick, b; Max Roach, 30 Dec 1952.

DISC
    Artist Five A Slide
    Title Pink Panther
    Composer Gershwin
    Album Strike Up The Band
    Label Black Lion
    Number BLCD 760509 Track 2
    Duration 4.22
    Performers: Campbell Burnap, Pete Strange, John Beecham, Jim Shepherd, Roy Crimmins, Roy Williams, tb; Stan Greig, p; Pete Skivington, b; Johnny Richardson, d.

DISC
    Artist Baikida Carroll
    Title Against Your Warmth
    Composer Carroll
    Album Door of the Cage
    Label Soul Note
    Number Track 4
    Duration 6.59
    Performers Baikida Carroll, t; Erica Lindsay, ts; Steve Coulson, p; Santi Debriano, b; Phaeeroan Ak Laff, d. 1994.

DISC
    Artist Erroll Garner
    Title The Way You Look Tonight
    Composer Kern, Fields
    Album Dream Street / One World Concert
    Label Telarc
    Number 83350 Track 10
    Duration 4.02
    Performers Erroll Garner, p; Edward Calhoun, b; Kelly Martin d. 1962 World’s Fair Seattle.

DISC
    Artist Hot Lips Page with Count Basie
    Title Blues With Lips
    Composer Page
    Album From Spirituals To Swing : Complete Legendary Carnegie Hall Concerts
    Label Definitive
    Number CD 1 Track 3
    Duration 3.11
    Performers: Hot Lips Page, Buck Clayton, Ed Lewis, Harry Edison, Shad Collins t; Benny Morton, Dan Minor, Dickie Wells, tb; Earl Warren, Lester Young, Herschel Evans, Jack Washington, reeds; Count Basie, p; Freddie Green, g; Walter Page, b; Jo Jones, d. 23 Dec 1938

DISC
    Artist Jelly Roll Morton
    Title That’s Like It Oughta Be
    Composer Morton
    Album Dr Jazz
    Label Proper
    Number Properbox 112 CD 4 Track 2
    Duration 2.54
    Performers: Barney Bigard, cl; Jelly Roll Morton, p; Zutty Singleton, d. 17 Dec 1929.

DISC
    Artist Raahsan Roland Kirk
    Title If I Loved You
    Composer Rodgers and Hammerstein
    Album Bright Moments
    Label Atlantic
    Number SD 2907 Track 11
    Duration 8.47
    Performers: Rahsaan Roland Kirk (flute, stritch, tenor saxophone); Ron Burton (piano), Todd Barkan (synthesizer, tambourine), Henry Pearson (bass), Robert Shy (drums), Joe Habao (percussion)

Recorded live at Keystone Korner, San Francisco, California from June 8-9, 1973

DISC
    Artist Phil Mason
    Title Cotton Fields Back Home
    Composer Ledbetter
    Album Once in a while
    Label Lake
    Number Track 2
    Duration 3.26
    Performers: Christine Tyrrell, v; Phil Mason cornet, Roger Myerscough clarinet, Micky Cooke trombone, Jim McIntosh banjo, Laurie Chescoe drums, Trefor Williams, double bass, 2007.

DISC
    Artist Stan Getz
    Title Split Kick
    Composer Getz
    Album Split Kick
    Label Roost
    Number RLP 423 Track 1
    Duration 3.06
    Performers: Stan Getz, t; Horace Silver, p; `joe Calloway, b; Walter Bolden, d. 1951

DISC
    Artist Frank Sinatra
    Title Luck Be a Lady
    Composer Loesser
    Album Best of Vegas
    Label Universal
    Number 06025 277 312-2 Track 9
    Duration 4.30
    Performers: Frank Sinatra, v; Quincy Jones, dir; Bill Miller, p; Count Basie Orchestra, Jan 1966.

DISC
    Artist Ian Carr’s Nucleus
    Title Snakehips Dream
    Composer Carr
    Album The Pretty Redhead
    Label Hux
    Number 038 Track 3
    Duration 8.14
    Performers: Ian Carr, t; Brian Smith, ss, ts; Karl Jenkins, bars, ob, p; Chris Spedding, g, Jeff Clyne, b; John Marshall, d. 9 March 1971
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

thanks Alyn; how nice to have a Nucleus track ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
      • Nov 2010

Sorry I got the date wrong in the header...it is of course 19 July!

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
        thanks Alyn; how nice to have a Nucleus track ...
        Indeed Calum back to my student days.......where did they go?

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

There is some very interesting stuff in this selection. I will be curious to hear Baikida Carroll and the JRM track but the stand out has got to be the Basie track with Hot Lips Page. Page was the original trumpeter in Basie's band but got lured away by Joe Glaser (?) before the band made any records. He was instrumental in contributing to the way the Basie band transformed jazz. I wasn't aware this track existed so it will be interesting to hear.

See that the programme picks up with a Parker recording from the Verve label, I wonder if anyone else had picked up the new book outlining the history of Norman Granz' label:-

I've bought this as a birthday present for my Dad (plus the usual selection of CD's) but haven't looked through it as it is factory wrapped. It looks like an extremely beautiful and well laid out book that should appeal to most people on this board. Has anyone else read it?

I've always found Verve to be an uneven label yet there is always something exciting about the way they present music. The initial recordings were little more than ad hoc jam session but retain a degree of interest in an unorganised format simply because of the calibre of the musicians playing. I would suggest that the Ellington / Hodge "Back to back" album remains the label's crowning glory and would easily place this record in my Top Ten of essential small group jazz recordings. It is an essential record. I've also always liked "Hey!, Heard the Herd" by woody Herman which includes some blistering tracks. If you also includes the classic recordings of Billie Holiday, the New Testament Basie band, the session of Mulligan arrangements performed by Krupa and the sessions with Charlie Parker where Granz tried to instil a degree of order to a musician's work whose output had previously should little variety of contest, I think you start to build up a picture of how integral Verve has been to jazz.

During the 1990's / 2000's, the label underwent a renaissance with records by Shirley Horn , betty Carter and Joe Henderson which were amongst the best of than era. They had quite a strong roster of talent and were always very well recorded.

However, to counter this, there has always been another side to Verve which has been quite commercial with the recordings by the likes of Wes Montgomery and Jimmy Smith not in the same category as the superior music they made with Blue Note. On top of that, they also seemed too enamoured with the "safe" styles of jazz such as Stan Getz and Oscar Peterson - the latter being a musician who had an uncanny ability to throw a damp blanket over nearly all the recordings he made with a dominating approach to the piano which suffocated the excitement out of records. Peterson is a musician I've always mistrusted and Granz' enthusiasm and lack of critique regarding his work very much reflects Manfred Eicher's free hand granted to keith Jarrett albeit an on form KJ record is worth a million by Peterson. I would also have to say that "Getz a go go" sowed the seed for "Smooth Jazz" and the rank dross that followed in the form of the likes of Kenny G. No cutting edge on this record with all eyes focussed on the ££££'s. For me, Granz' enthusiasm for both Peterson and Getz showed poor judgement in contrast with the likes of Weinstock or Alfred Lions who could see the commercial appeal of some styles but not to the expense of quality jazz. Maybe I'm harsh on Granz as he was responsible for a lot of exceptional music and was a champion of musician's rights. As a producer he seemed to be able to sell jazz better than anyone else and whilst good musicianship was always a significant factor, this was always refracted by a more mainstream vision where the oeuvre of more challenging aspects of jazz in the 1950's and 60's had no place. The "safe" factor manifested itself even more so when Granz produced "Pablo" where the results were even more uneven and the roster of artists gave the impression that jazz had ceased to develop after say 1955.

Comment

Working...
          X