Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geri Allen JL

.. for some reason, undoubtedly my own inadequate ears, i have not warmed to ms Allen's playing ...

i shall listen to the prog with dutiful attention and see if i might improve myself ...any suggestions as to where to start with her works?
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Calum
    Maybe the programme will answer your question?

Comment

Curious folk can do plenty of Geri meandering on Spotify, calum.
      And it don't have to cost a thing.

Comment

Calum,

(posting here now under my own name, as I've grown averse to avatars)

The trio recordings with Haden and Motian are worth checking out.

Comment

... Paul Utube is my preffered medium, i am a spoty subscriber but ....etc

warmed to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSqqo...eature=related

but not to the Sandino with Haden Motian clip, deep in Haden's romantic dirge territory
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

the prog didn't turn me on to ms allen ........

Comment

Having "listened again " to this programme, I found it ticked all the boxes are far as I am concerned. The only stuff that didn't quite gel was the M-base track - odd as I love Steve Coleman's tone and think he is a composer who is worth checking out.

The only records I've got with Geri Allen on are "The Gathering" which is an odd record that features ensembles of fluctuating sizes with some pieces that work very effectively such as "Joy and wonder" and "Angels" with a few others that probably aren't so hot. Just about the best Lenny White I have heard on record too and fascinating to hear Vernon Reid in the mix with his electric guitar. You don't here his name that often these days. The Betty Carter is, in my opinion, am essential jazz vocal album that should be in everybody's collection. I first heard this music on the Radio 3 broadcast one Easter and it kick-started me into listening to and appreciating jazz vocalists. Betty was probably the very best and this is a staggering record where she is backed by a band that are on fire.

I've ordered the latest album on the strnegth of the track "Philly Joe" which sounded very impressive indeed.

In the past, I've bee fortunate to have seen Geri Allen three times, the first of which was with Paul Motian and Charlie Haden. I did hear a few dissenting voices at the concert regarding Paul Motian's style of drumming but I don't think the people could have been paying attnetion. A great trio and all the more admirable for playing a totally acoustic set. Secpnd time up she was with Tom Bancroft's biggish band and the contrast in ability couldn't have been greater - I think she was in a totally different class from this Scottish band who flattered to deceive. I have also seen her with Charles Lloyd and she was the best thng about the quartet. Lloyd arguably is the most consistant artist on ECM at the moment and has produced a slew of brilliant records, all generally notable for the choice of pianists whether it be Michel Pettruciani, Bob Stenson, Brad Mehldau, Geri Allen or Jason Moran. To my ears, it is the contribution of the pianists who make these groups special. Lloyd is a frustrating player. Sometimes he achieves moments of greatness but I find his intonation very poor on occasions and there is always the spectre of "Coltrane-lite" that has unfairly dogged his career. Generally, I would have to come down in favour of his work - especially in the light of his fellow label-mates who have made me less partisan to Manfred Eicher than I was 20 years ago.

Comment

ms Allen is featured in concert tonight on Jon3

along with reference on cd to other pianists including Mathew Shipp

and Eric Hofbauer, a name new to me:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/musician.php?id=15813

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4LKfzfbFfU
                Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 06-12-10, 17:54.

Comment

Between nodding on and off managed to catch the end of Ms Allen's solo performance, and it confirmed for me that she has recaptured her early radical independence - a sort of admixture of early 70s McCoy Tyner and Don Pullen by way of the Bartok piano studies, (more flowing than the expected percussiveness), which kinda more than encourages me back on board.

The programme ended with a marvellous solo guitarist who - from what I heard, between the nodding on and the nodding off - managed to avoid all the familiar licks and cliches.

All this sodding nodding - I'm weaning down to my last few smokes in anticipation of Thursday's (anti) smoking clinic; beforehand I needed to stay awake, however relaxed and in listen mode - so as not to accidentally burn the place down.

S-A

Comment

yep they are not gonna put out a jazz prog except the wrong side of noddy eh? except the saturday tradition [for ever it now seems] of jazz in the afternoon ... i am saving it for LA manana

... and good luck on the smoking thing S_A!

Comment

Thanks for the encourgement, calum - much needed!

What was that either record or track title, "Yes, We Have No Mananas"? Can anybody remember?

S-A

Comment

Kevin Ayers was one ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwcdjbtyWYM

Comment

The very one

Comment

Working...
                          X