X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avishai was there.

Sat 12 Aug
    5pm - J to Z

Julian Joseph with new and classic jazz. Plus guests, today with double bass maestro Reggie Workman (now 87) sharing music and memories from his time working with John Coltrane, from conversations at the kitchen table to their collaborative album recorded live at New York venue the Village Vanguard. Plus concert highlights from double bassist Avishai Cohen in April at Switzerland's Cully Jazz Festival, as part of the festival's 40th-year edition.

Bass legend Reggie Workman shares his inspirations, plus live music from Avishai Cohen.

12midnight - Freeness
    Corey Mwamba presents pieces by Japanese futozao-shamisen player Yumiko Taneka as well as percussionist Camille Emaille in a trio with dieb13 (turntables) and Hans Koch (reeds).

Corey Mwamba shares free jazz and improvised music bridging tradition and imagined future.

Sun 13 Aug
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton pays tribute to Tony Bennett, who died last month at 96. Including collaborations with Count Basie, Dave Brubeck, Bill Evans and others.

Bushes and Briers?

Started just now, Reggie Workman talking about his tenure with John Coltrane - essential listening.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Started just now, Reggie Workman talking about his tenure with John Coltrane - essential listening.
      Yes, a fascinating J to Z section with Reggie Workman talking which I'm glad I recorded. I was intrigued by his mention of saxophonist Lee Grimes(brother of Henry) who Coltrane admired. Don't suppose he recorded anything?

JR

Comment

Yes he was...

Comment

... a jazz singer...

Comment

Well, he (TB) had a huge respect for jazz musicians and it's worth looking at who turned up on his album sessions.. He's not a favourite of mine, particularly the sometimes overblown earlier material and approach, but he continually refined his style later. He did a wonderful album of movie related themes, with surprising control and sensitivity, and with Jimmy Rowles etc on piano. "The Shadow of your smile" is a gem of interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
              Well, he (TB) had a huge respect for jazz musicians and it's worth looking at who turned up on his album sessions.. He's not a favourite of mine, particularly the sometimes overblown earlier material and approach, but he continually refined his style later. He did a wonderful album of movie related themes, with surprising control and sensitivity, and with Jimmy Rowles etc on piano. "The Shadow of your smile" is a gem of interpretation.
              I'm listening to a duet track with Bill Evans and greatly enjoying Bill's input... Earlier we heard a track including Stan Getz, and I was wondering who was trying to outdo who in the vibrato department. We have a lot of complaints about wobbly singers in opera elsewhere on the forum... rightly so, in my view. Maybe I'm being a bit previous... I'll hang on for the later recordings.

Comment

"The Shadow of your smile", arranged Johnny Mandel who also wrote it. Jimmy Rowles on piano. From the mid 60s Movies album...

Comment

Working...
                X