• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

The dilemmas of a Horn + travel by Tubes

Saturday 6 June

5.00 Jazz Record Requests
    Alyn Shipton's selection of listeners' requests today focuses on jazz at the dawn of new-age music, with a solo improvisation by flautist Paul Horn recorded inside the Taj Mahal. A founding father of new-age music, Horn pioneered music for meditation, and this programme marks the anniversary of his death last year at the age of 84.

Summat dodgy about Alyn's usual link, my computer sez!

Good Calmer, as Hindus say.

6.00 Jazz Line-Up
    The second instalment of Loose Tubes in concert recorded in April at the 2015 Gateshead International Jazz Festival, presented by Claire Martin. The band - whose line-up reads like a who's who of the British jazz scene - re-formed last year to celebrate their 30th anniversary. This programme showcases their unique brand of high-energy big band jazz.

Loose Tubes in concert at the Gateshead Jazz Festival plus an interview with Kurt Elling.

Always a moving experience...

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith explores how jazz and folk music share similar roots, drawing examples from a diverse range of works, including those of Lead Belly [sic], Jan Garbarek and Dizzy Gillespie

Geoffrey Smith surveys the deep roots shared between jazz and folk music.

See you down the Troubadour, Old Brompton Rd, 1963 - Bob Dylan will pop in for a quick jam.

Monday 8 June

11.00 Jazz on 3
    Jez Nelson introduces Norwegian sextet Motif in concert, led by bassist Ole Morten Vagan. Plus performances by pianist Kit Downes and cellist Lucy Railton's Tricko Tareco

Norwegian sextet Motif in concert, plus Kit Downes and Lucy Railton's Tricko.

Probably no relation to Brixton's Railton Road, and could contain nuts.
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 06-06-15, 12:05. Reason: adding lynx
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Anthony Brixton?

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      Anthony Brixton?

BN.
      No real Asian, mate

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

"There's gentrification, across the Nation, a chance for folks to meet" - Martha et les Vandellas.

Marcus Belgrave (RIP) played trumpet on that.

VN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Dan Singh in the street - another no real Asian.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
            • Nov 2010

S-A I had noticed the "This site may have been hacked" warning on Google - but we have been all over the site and there's no evidence of any hacking or malware - seems to be my ham-fisted attempt to do Google diagnostics on site traffic that has caused the problem, and am waiting to reset that message. So for the JRR playlist, this link ought to be safe:

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
              S-A I had noticed the "This site may have been hacked" warning on Google - but we have been all over the site and there's no evidence of any hacking or malware - seems to be my ham-fisted attempt to do Google diagnostics on site traffic that has caused the problem, and am waiting to reset that message. So for the JRR playlist, this link ought to be safe:
              http://www.alynshipton.co.uk/blog/
              Many thanks for that, Alyn.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Many thanks for that, Alyn.
                That JRR Yusef Lateef track is a re-make of one of the themes on the Savoy sides!

I will re-insert the Savoy C90s. From memory Yusef's solo kicks off in much the same way. Interesting to see how he's changed. Not dramatically.

BN.

Its "Morning" from April 1957 with Yusef, Curtis Fuller, Hugh Lawson, Ernie Farrow (Alice Coltrane's brother or step brother) and Louis Hayes. Think I prefer the 57 one. Those Savoy sessions were hugely impressive with a great little band.

Oh, AS has just back announced it!
                Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 06-06-15, 18:05.

Comment

Working...
                X