Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian Godding: 19/8/45 - 25/11/23

Belatedly I have only just received the news of Brian Godding's passing, at the age of 78.

Brian first became known to the record-buying public through his mid to late 60s band Blossom Toes, having alongside being the group's guitarist composed quirky original songs with unorthodox chord changes not dissimilar to those from the Beatles' Sergeant Pepper period before taking a more mainstream rock approach for their final output around 1970. Brian's guitar improvising began around that time, initially somewhat limited in scope, but over the following decade gradually acquiring a sophistication that was aiming in the direction of Allan Holdsworth. Not mentioned in the attached tribute is that Godding was one of the first to deploy a guitar synthesiser, through which timbral enrichments very much his own were to be a feature of his improvising lines, but were used to orchestral effect underpinning some of the most memorably atmospheric passages in Mike Westbrook's The Cortege. Guitar synths weren't production line available in the early 1980s; Brian had designed and built his own. Later, in the 1990s he joined saxophonist Chris Biscoe, that criminally underlooked bassist Marcio Mattos and drummer Tony Marsh in a stylistically wide open improvising quartet called Full Monte, in which his colourful sound pallette was used to dramatic effect. Brian was a nice regular sort of guy with a dry sense of humour, and he will be greatly missed as both friend to the music and musician.

Coming from the progressive end of pop, Brian Godding was primed for work with such jazz luminaries as Keith Tippett and Mike Westbrook

Sampled tracks of Full Monte - amazing stuff - to be found below:

I remember seeing Full Monte about thirty years ago at a Southampton Jazz Society held in the university. Chris Biscoe is a seriously under-appreciated player. It was an interesting gig although , until this post, I had forgotten about this group. Wierd that I never appreciated at the time that the music was freely improvised although it was very typical of the kind of stuff that SJC used to put on. There is a current version of the SJC but I have not been to one of their gigs for a long while as I tend not to go out on a school night as work commitments make this impossible.

Comment

Working...
    X