Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony Oxley *1938 +2023

It's being reported on socials that Tony Oxley has passed away. His Wikipedia entry has already been re-written in the past tense. RIP.

Others more familiar with his work will add their favourite recordings (many on the Twitter already doing so) but here's mine:

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesBody and Soul · Coe, Oxley & Co.Nutty℗ 1990 HAT HUT RECORDS LTD.Released on: 1983-08-28Music Publisher: TUHTAH ...
    all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

The very jazz track I would have posted in tribute, arguably, to the greatest drummer/percussionist to emerge from British jazz, although his scope extended into avant-garde and free improvisation too as a natural extension of his rhythmic and sonorous complexity, even before he began adding real time electronic sound manipulation around 1970. I'll not forget the set at the Avon Gorge, mid-80s - a trio alongside Alan Skidmore and the East German-born bassist Ali Haurand - and seeing the blizzard of wood fragments from his sticks as caught into the lighting above the stand. I never found an interview in which Tony was persuaded to articulate in depth his approach to playing and also to composition - he seemed almost diffident when it came to talking about himself. His long association with Cecil Taylor speaks for itself.

Comment

Tony Oxley often worked with Cecil Taylor after they met in Berlin during 1988.
      One of my favourite duo albums is ‘Conversations’ recorded at the Berlin Philharmonic in 2008 when Taylor was approaching 80 & Oxley, 70.
      Here’s ‘Berlin Conversation 4’:

Provided to YouTube by JazzwerkstattBerlin Conversation 4 (Live) · Cecil Taylor · Tony OxleyConversations With Tony Oxley (Live)℗ JazzwerkstattReleased on: 2...

JR

Comment

Saw him in the late 80s with - I think - Evan Parker. Spellbinding playing. A lifetime of creativity.

Comment

bong ching

Comment

I like Tony Oxley's drumming best of all on the Tomasz Stanko alum "Matka Joanna." For me, Tony Oxley was like an avant garde version of Sonny Greer. Difficult not to be hooked by his drumming, He is also impressive on Paul Bley's "Adventure Playground" which also featured John Surman and Gary Peacock.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
              I like Tony Oxley's drumming best of all on the Tomasz Stanko alum "Matka Joanna." For me, Tony Oxley was like an avant garde version of Sonny Greer. Difficult not to be hooked by his drumming, He is also impressive on Paul Bley's "Adventure Playground" which also featured John Surman and Gary Peacock.
              Yes, for a player best known for his avant-garde work, he appears a few times on ECM. Adventure Playground is a good one.
              all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

My Radio 3 interview with Tony used to be up on the University of Sheffield site, but seems to have vanished. But there is a fragment of it here, just reeling off the instruments in his kit! RIP. https://www.allaboutjazz.com/musicians/tony-oxley/

Comment

RIP

My father was fan of Gordon Beck among the "young musicians" (his words), so I first new him from the records he made with Gordon. He was probably the best post bop drummer around and his collaborations with Evan Parker and Cecil Taylor speak for themselves in the "free" jazz category. One of my all time favorite drummers.

This track turns into a duet between sax and drums

Alan Skidmore Quintet - Free for Al [Once Upon a Time] 1970Spiralling, soaring work from the Alan Skidmore Quintet — a group led by one of the greatest Briti...
                  Last edited by burning dog; 27-12-23, 12:07.

Comment

RIP. The last time I saw him was on an Arts Council tour c. 1986 in Swindon no less, a Stan Tracey Qrt, with Tony Coe on tenor etc. All in a pugnacious mood! Swindon will do that to people. "When are they going to start playing some *proper* jazz?" muttered an unhappy Kenny Ball fan. Happy days.

Comment

Tony Oxley with Kenny Wheeler, Stan Sulzmann, Gordon Beck & Dieter Ilg at the Brew House, 1991:

Kenny Wheeler Quintet - Gordon Beck - Stan Sulzman - Dieter Ilg more here at https://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Tony_Oxley.html#tonyoxley #drummerworld

JR

Comment

I forgot he was on this - "Binky's beam" from Extrapolation. That famous press roll.

Also didn't know the back story to Binky.

Comment

I bought Tony's album " Baptised Traveller" when it came out in 1969 (I think), A key album from the British Avant Garde and a game changer that sounds as fresh to me as when I first heard it.

Here is 'Stone Garden'

R I P Tony

elmo

Comment

Wonderful footage of the Howard Riley Trio with Barry Guy & Tony Oxley playing ‘Cirrus’ on French TV, 1972:

Howard Riley Trio - Cirrus Jazz harmonie -French TV September 3, 1972 Howard RILEY Trio : (free jazz)Howard Riley - pianoBarry Guy - bassTony Oxley -percu...

JR

Comment

Tony Oxley’s obituary by Richard Williams:

Drummer and percussionist who developed his own musical language as a composer

JR

Comment

Working...
                              X