Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve Swallow interview

“Wander Away” By Steve Swallow “Sonny Clark was around when I first came to New York. His touch on the piano would just melt your heart in an instant, he was...
    all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

I've got the Sam Stevenson book on the Jazz Loft and Eugene Smith etc. It was very pricey at the time (2010).

​​​​​​From it, "In the summer of 1961, Clark strung out on heroin, collapsed in the Loft, his heart stopped beating. A sixteen year old girl, Virginia McEwan saved Clark with amateur CPR. She and her boyfriend saxophonist Lin Halliday, had been squatting in the Loft stairwell since the May of that year."

The "romance" (sic) of jazz. Not smiley face.

Halliday himself had just the stub of one tooth left in the latter playing part of his life. He still played very well, but...

Btw John Berger was an admirer of Smith's photography.

Comment

Lin Hailliday's later work on Delmark was supposed to have been well received. He overcame his problems and was able to produce some quality jazz towards the end of his career.

I was staggered by the fact that there was a connection between Steve Swallow and Sonny Clark. In my opinion, Clark is seriously under-rated as a composer and pianist. His piano playing in unadorned and direct and to the point. This makes me think of his as a jazz equivalent of Joseph Haydn whose piano sonata's I have been listening to and trying to play. I like both Clark and Haydn. It always struck me that that, had he remained clean and not destroyed his life by alternating between drug and alcohol addition, Clark would have been one of those players who would have greatly benefitted from the jazz revival in the 1980s. His compositions make him sound like a sly and savvy version of Horace Silver.

Comment

Working...
      X