No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So many repeats - so Artemis!

Sat 10 Feb

Jazz supergroup ARTEMIS in session, plus Naïssam Jalal's inspirations.

Corey Mwamba with new music digging through history, memory and interspecies relations.

Sun 11 Feb

Apologies for posting Alyn's link, which was for Feb 4, and not today's, which is not available. Click on the BBC JRR link provided, and it gives the actual track details played.

Comment

My link for yesterday's show is now posted. Apologies for delay - http://www.alynshipton.co.uk/2024/02/jrr-11-feb/

Comment

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
        My link for yesterday's show is now posted. Apologies for delay - http://www.alynshipton.co.uk/2024/02/jrr-11-feb/
        Many thanks, as always Alyn.

Comment

Interesting that Mark Turner, when asked whose solos he studied when he was learning, mentioned Sonny Stitt's solos as being particularly hard to learn...
          all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

Bruce

I think the whole Charlie Parker / be-bop lexicon is really difficult. I have some Parker music books and think the hardest thing is trying to play those lines over a Latin groove. I could never do it. It is a bit like trying to pat your head and rub your tummy. There is a physical issue with playing those kind of lines.

i am not too familiar with Sonny Stitt who I think is probably far more than the Parker clone he was unfortunately labelled as.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
              Bruce

I think the whole Charlie Parker / be-bop lexicon is really difficult. I have some Parker music books and think the hardest thing is trying to play those lines over a Latin groove. I could never do it. It is a bit like trying to pat your head and rub your tummy. There is a physical issue with playing those kind of lines.

i am not too familiar with Sonny Stitt who I think is probably far more than the Parker clone he was unfortunately labelled as.
              Yes, bebop is bloody hard to learn. I recently had a go at memorising Bird's solo on Now's The Time. A lot of it was fine, as much of it is in the tenor range (I just put the higher stuff down an octave out of laziness) but his double-time runs were just too fast for me to play anywhere near the full tempo. Same thing happened when I was learning Sonny's (Rollins) solo on Softly As In A Morning Sunrise from A Night At The Village Vanguard. Everything is fine until Sonny then launches a rocket.
              all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

For a pianist, Bebop requires a lot of technque which I do not have. The thing I like about Bird is that the solos are melodic.

What has been interesing to tackle has been the Scarlatti sonatas which have the fame kind of approach to bebop and similar to Bach. I also picked up some music by Clementi which intrigued me as he grew up on an estate near Blandford Forum that was owned by the same Beckford family who make the rum. This piqued my interested. Clementi is the only composer known to have benefitted from the slave trade as his salary was derived from the income from plantations in the Caribbean, The music is great for sight -reading but a bit sub-Mozart. Not as fun as Haydn . I think Haydn would have loved Be-bop too.

Comment

Working...
                X