No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arriale perspectives looking down on you

Sat 16 March

Darcy James Argue’s musical inspirations plus Jacques Schwarz-Bart in concert.

Corey Mwamba presents free jazz and improvised music that plays with senses of scale.

Sun 17 March

Alyn Shipton presents jazz records of all styles as requested by you.

Friday night's Charlie Parker: Radio Planner on BBC4 appears to have nothing to do with his namesake.

I caught some of J-Z coming back from the football this evening although I missed most of it as my partner was on the phone. The opening track seemed really rugged and there sounded like an intonation issue in the playing of the head. Mark Kwuma was at Southampton last night but I have a lot on my plate at the moment and forgot all about it. The second track was pretty duff too.

Comment

Arguably exceptional choices by the guest at 6 o'clock though

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
        Arguably exceptional choices by the guest at 6 o'clock though
        Indeed so; in my humble opinion Darcy James Argue's brilliant exposition of tracks provided an example of how Radio 3 used to be, The part of this programme regularly given over to guests to talk about music that has influenced them is for me the highlight. Radio 3 should be all about treating serious music seriously and with respect. It was, once - while there are aspects to criticise,from a high quality base as there should always be, jazz broadcasting seems to have now become the last bastion of a once valuable institution now taken over by amateurs with little genuine informed interest in what they are presenting.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Indeed so; in my humble opinion Darcy James Argue's brilliant exposition of tracks provided an example of how Radio 3 used to be, The part of this programme regularly given over to guests to talk about music that has influenced them is for me the highlight. Radio 3 should be all about treating serious music seriously and with respect. It was, once - while there are aspects to criticise,from a high quality base as there should always be, jazz broadcasting seems to have now become the last bastion of a once valuable institution now taken over by amateurs with little genuine informed interest in what they are presenting.
          Absolutely. Totally agree, S_A.

Comment

Always good to know we amateurs with little informed interest are so appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
              Always good to know we amateurs with little informed interest are so appreciated.

Please don't forget to put up this week's JRR roll call, Alyn: I know you're a busy man as well as a true professional, but those personnel lists and recording dates mean so much to some of us!

Comment

No Alyn you are by implication as a jazz presenter part of the “last bastion” of presenters who are not amateurs with little informed interest. The problem with SA’s sweeping comment is there are plenty of professional musicians who present on R3 e.g. Tom McKinney and Jess Gillam , some who have music degrees like Tom service , others like Sean Rafferty who are unquestionably expert in their field. In fact I am hard pushed to think of a single one who doesn’t have at least a “major” informed interest.

Comment

As a hugely informed amateur tape recordist (The C90 is undoubtedly the future of technology), I thought JRR was exceptional today. Even the tracks that I didn't like, I did like! Diverse writ good. Great stuff.

Comment

JRR listing will go on my website on Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                      As a hugely informed amateur tape recordist (The C90 is undoubtedly the future of technology), I thought JRR was exceptional today. Even the tracks that I didn't like, I did like! Diverse writ good. Great stuff.

Comment

JRR listing will go on my website on Tuesday.
                        Thanks in anticipation, Alyn.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

No Alyn you are by implication as a jazz presenter part of the “last bastion” of presenters who are not amateurs with little informed interest. The problem with SA’s sweeping comment is there are plenty of professional musicians who present on R3 e.g. Tom McKinney and Jess Gillam , some who have music degrees like Tom service , others like Sean Rafferty who are unquestionably expert in their field. In fact I am hard pushed to think of a single one who doesn’t have at least a “major” informed interest.
                          From the little that I now listen to on Radio 3, admittedly, I have found equally little (COTW excepted) to convince me that most of the current crop are actually imparting or leading informed, in-depth knowledge about serious music, whether they themselves are informed professionals or not. Most of what I gained in terms of musical knowledge from Radio 3 was back in the 1980s and '90s. And I don't think I'm alone in that. Luckily I kept tapes that prove (to my satisfaction, at any rate), what I am claiming.

Comment

From the little that I now listen to on Radio 3, admittedly, I have found equally little (COTW excepted) to convince me that most of the current crop are actually imparting or leading informed, in-depth knowledge about serious music, whether they themselves are informed professionals or not. Most of what I gained in terms of musical knowledge from Radio 3 was back in the 1980s and '90s. And I don't think I'm alone in that. Luckily I kept tapes that prove (to my satisfaction, at any rate), what I am claiming.
                            So you don’t listen to it and from not listening to it you can infer from the content that the presenters aren’t well
                            Informed ? When clearly some of them e.g Tom , Jess and Sean are experts ..

Comment

A saving grace of Radio 3 is its store of Podcasts, 100 episodes of Jazz Library, Stephen Johnson's Discovering Music, etc.. However while these are available "indefinitely", they are relatively difficult to access - unless you know what you are looking for. My view is that BBC Sounds should be considerably expanded and upgraded, to make accessible all these programmes from the "good old days" - and more besides.

Comment

Working...
                              X