No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan's dares

Sat 23 March

Celebrating jazz poet Jack Kerouac’s centenary with the music of On the Road.

Corey Mwamba presents jazz and improvised music that defy speed and time.

Sun 24 March

Sorry folks - JRR takes second place to 6 hours of Easter across Europe: it's repetition compulsion. SIX hours - they knew you'd give thanks!

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Sat 23 March

Celebrating jazz poet Jack Kerouac’s centenary with the music of On the Road.

Corey Mwamba presents jazz and improvised music that defy speed and time.

Sun 24 March

Sorry folks - JRR takes second place to 6 hours of Easter across Europe: it's repetition compulsion. SIX hours - they knew you'd give thanks!
    Two repeats & no JRR.
    A poor weekend for Radio 3 jazz.
    I recommend Iggy Pop on BBC 6 Music(Sun 24 March, 4-6pm) who often plays some excellent jazz tracks.

JR

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post

Two repeats & no JRR.
      A poor weekend for Radio 3 jazz.
      I recommend Iggy Pop on BBC 6 Music(Sun 24 March, 4-6pm) who often plays some excellent jazz tracks.

JR
      Yes, thanks for the reminder about Iggy Pop's programme, Jazzrook. Just a shame Radio 6 can't be got on FM - but not to worry, I'm sure I can cram all my one friend into my "study" here!

Comment

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the Kerouac J to Z, whoever compiled that wonderful list of tracks in tribute. Not sure what Ian thinks of Kerouac's writings, but I would guess the music would be right on his money, from that transitional Swing to Bop phase.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the Kerouac J to Z, whoever compiled that wonderful list of tracks in tribute. Not sure what Ian thinks of Kerouac's writings, but I would guess the music would be right on his money, from that transitional Swing to Bop phase.
          Yes, that was a very enjoyable J to Z, one of the best I’ve heard, and well worth repeating.
          I take back my words!

JR

Comment

"Boom, kick, that drummer was kicking his drums down the cellar, and rolling the beat upstairs with his murderous sticks, rattlety-boom! The pianist was only pounding the keys with spreadeagled fingers, chords, at intervals when the great tenorman was drawing breath for another blast - Chinese chords, shuddering the piano in every timber, chink and wire, boing! The tenorman jumped down from the platform and stood in the crowd, blowing around; his hat was over his eyes, somebody pushed it back for him. He just hauled back and stamped his foot and blew down a hoarse, laughing blast, and drew breath, and raised the horn, and blew high, wide, and screaming in the air."

I seem to remember from somewhere that the "tenor man" was Jack McVea. Of Open the Door Richard fame and the JATP.

James Baldwin said that Kerouac should try reading his purple/patronising prose on blacks and mexicans, in particularly black women, on the stage of the Apollo, the inference being he'd get booted off or much worse.

But certainly life changing at the time. At 14 I wanted to be Kerouac! My father worked on the docks as an electrician and brought the book home from an American shop he was lighting.

Comment

Working...
            X