Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Blossom time is never far away, she's been a favourite since I bought her Ronie Scott albums in the late sixties.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Blossom didn't suffer fools - or talkative audiences - Good for Blossom.

I've always liked this, "They say it's spring", which I thought she wrote. Not that but hers was the first recording of it...

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

There was an extremely clever mind hiding behind her girlish voice, although on her own admission in "It Amazes Me" her IQ was "just average". The compositions and lyrics were always very bright (I'm Hip).

She went to Paris and founded the Blue Stars, later evolving into the Swingle Singers, who had a hit with Lullaby of Birdland in 1956. I assume she spoke French fluently.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

She was married for a time - mid fifties -to Bobby Jasper, the very good Belgian tenor and flutist who died too young.

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Wonderful to hear ‘Mr Syms’ from Archie Shepp’s truly great ‘Four For Trane’ on JRR today.
            Here’s ‘Cousin Mary’ from that 1964 album.

Archie Shepp, "Cousin Mary", album Four for Trane, 1964 Four for Trane is a studio album by Archie Shepp released on Impulse! Records in 1964. Three of the f...

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

The other jazz songwriter who produced some great lyrics was Mose Allison. The lack of irony makes generally makes me sceptical of America humour. It is just childish but there are odd elements like Tom &;Jerry or The Simpsons where it is extremely funny. Moses Allison also fits the same bill. His music often makes him look like a character from The Simpsons.

Not a fan of Blossom Dearie , though. I am suspicious of anyone who would write a tribute to John Lennon. Have to say I am a jazz snob when it comes to The Beatles. Just think that George Martin probably deserves all the credit there. Not even sure the Beatles recorded their own music. Is there some question mark over Ringo Starr not playing drums on their records and the drummer actually being Ronnie Stephenson ? I am sure that is the case with George Harrison record produced by Quincy Jones.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Mose had a degree in English & Philosophy from Louisiana State University. I do like Blossom but maybe in small quantities and as much the piano. Back in the 60s I persuaded my girlfriend to stay in rather that go out for a meal because Blossom D was on TV "live at the Palladium" ("Sunday Night..?)

When Blossom came on she yelled "we actually stayed in for this?!"

Comment

Working...
                X